Jo In-sung takes charge of epic film Ansi City
Jo In-sung (The King) has just confirmed that he’s signed on to star in the historical film Ansi City. The movie is set during an epic period of war where 500,000 mighty troops from the Tang empire come to conquer Goguryeo, but are stopped and eventually repelled by the tenacious 88-day defense mounted by Ansi City.
Jo In-sung has accepted the role of legendary hero Yang Manchun for the movie. His character is a patriotic leader whose strong will and determination hold the people together throughout the arduous assault on the fortress and subsequent siege. At first, Lee Byung-heon was also offered a role in this project, but he turned it down because his schedule was already packed. But it looks like Ansi City may be the hit sageuk blockbuster of 2018 because they’re pulling out all the stops on this one.
The main investor for this project, Studio NEW, has already poured buckets of money—15 billion KRW’s worth—into pre-production. But I guess after the wild success of Descended From the Sun, they have the capital to spare. Director Kim Kwang-shik (Tabloid Truth, My Dear Desperado) is helming the project, and it’s been reported that rising star Park Bo-gum (Moonlight Drawn By Clouds) has received an offer to be in the film. And I really want this matchup to happen because a Jo In-sung/Park Bo-gum soldier bromance a la Descended From the Sun would be aaaaamazing.
Filming for Ansi City will begin this August after casting ends, and the movie is projected to premiere in early 2018.
- Park Bo-gum, Lee Byung-heon up for potential matchup in Ansi City
- News bites: April 1, 2017
- Jo In-sung rises from pawn prosecutor to The King in political action-thriller
- Jo In-sung and Go Hyun-jung’s whirlwind romance in Dear My Friends
- Ryu Joon-yeol, Kim Ah-joong join Jo In-sung’s movie The King
- Im Soo-jung courted to join Jo In-sung in The King
- New Noh Hee-kyung drama Dear My Friends lines up cast
- Dear My Friends: Episode 1