Oh Yeon-seo to headline fantasy romance drama Hwayugi
Going from princess to monk, My Sassy Girl’s Oh Yeon-seo has confirmed fantasy romance drama Hwayugi as her next project. Based on classic Chinese novel Journey to the West, this Hong sisters drama keeps the central conflict the same—a monk battling evil spirits that run rampant in the world—but brings the story with a romantic modern-day twist.
Oh Yeon-seo is set to play Jin Sun-mi, the monk who teams up with Sun Wukong, the trickster Monkey King, and the charismatic but vain Bull Demon King to defeat the evil spirits. Currently, Lee Seung-gi (Love Forecast) is being courted for the role of Sun Wukong, and Cha Seung-won (Hwajeong) recently confirmed that he’ll play the Bull Demon King. Along the way, they inevitably fall into a love triangle.
Jin Sun-mi is a big-time real estate CEO who resells haunted houses, deserted houses, houses of mourning, basically any house with bad chi for a profit. She’s wealthy, beautiful, and has an unyielding tenacity that makes her so good at her job. Her only downside is that she’s not the friendliest, which is making me anticipate meet-cute misunderstandings and squabbles.
Similarly, Cha Seung-won’s character is also a CEO, albeit of an entertainment agency. Oh no, I think I’m experiencing second lead syndrome already. I’m not quite sure how the evil spirits will be incorporated, but if this drama is anything like Best Love meets My Girlfriend Is a Gumiho, I’m totally down to watch.
tvN’s upcoming Saturday-Sunday drama Hwayugi will premiere in December.
Via Joy News
- Oh Yeon-seo up to romance Lee Seung-gi in Hong sisters drama Hwayugi
- Cha Seung-won becomes the charismatic Bull Demon King for Hwayugi
- Lee Hong-ki considers joining Hwayugi as top star
- Lee Seung-gi considers reunion with Hong sisters in Hwayugi
- Cha Seung-won courted for Hong sisters fantasy romance on tvN
- My Sassy Girl: Episodes 1-2
- Star scholar Joo-won is official royal babysitter for SBS’s My Sassy Girl