Thankfully this is a movie, because I don’t know how many more cop dramas I can watch in one year, and with this cast I’d have to watch. Sohn Hyun-joo (Three Days) will be returning to the big screen to headline a detective thriller for his next project, and Daniel Choi (Big Man) has signed on to co-star. Both actors have confirmed, and the offer is out to rising young star Park Seo-joon (Witch’s Romance) to join them. If he takes the role, it’ll be his big screen debut.
The movie, called Chronicle of Malice, is a thriller about a detective squad chief who’s up for a career-making promotion, but suddenly gets caught up in a murder case that throws him into a tailspin. Sohn Hyun-joo stars as the lead detective, and Ma Dong-seok (Murderer) plays a detective on his squad who helps him on the case.
Daniel Choi plays an unexpected character, which sounds to me like a big flashing neon sign that he’s the bad guy, but who knows. For now his role is a mystery. It may have been a big twist the first few times Daniel Choi played the baddie, but half a dozen roles later, the twist seems the new norm. And Park Seo-joon is up for the role of the rookie detective who looks up to Sohn Hyun-joo. I’ve only ever seen him be a noona-killer, so it should be fun to see if he’s got a grittier character in him.
Directing is Baek Woon-hak of Tube (2003). Once it completes casting, Chronicle of Malice starts shooting next month.
- Three Days: Episode 1
- Hide and Seek leads the thriller-packed box office
- First teaser and character posters for Empire of Gold
- Movie Review: Covertly, Grandly
- Big Man: Episode 1
- Jung Jae-young and Daniel Choi in time slip thriller
- Daniel Choi and BoA’s sweet romance in Anticipate Love
- Witch’s Romance: Episode 1
- Kissing tips and beating hearts in Witch’s Romance
- Marriage angst and partner-swapping in Warm Words