Second Love is the new title for the drama remake of Second to Last Love (uh, they so don’t mean similar things!), the SBS series based on a Japanese drama about a fortysomething woman finding love. It previously offered the lead role to Kim Hee-ae (Mrs. Cop, Secret Love Affair), who’s still considering, and now it’s also courting Ji Jin-hee to play her love interest.
Ji Jin-hee’s character would be a civil servant who works as a chief at City Hall’s environmental facility, and he comes to know the leading lady, a chief producer at a broadcast station, through “misfortune” that leads them into a bickering romance. I like the offbeat way the characters are described, with Ji’s would-be character being a fortysomething man “who dearly wishes nothing will happen” and Kim Hee-ae’s character being a fortysomething woman “who wishes that something would please happen.”
The casting makes sense all around, with Ji Jin-hee just coming off another SBS weekend drama, I Have a Lover, which was not a ratings hit but drew an avid fanbase; he also starred in Warm Words, which was helmed by this drama’s PD, Choi Young-hoon. The PD also directed dramas High Society and Five Fingers, while writer Choi Yoon-jung wrote Mr. Back and Emergency Couple.
It’s not quite clear from the description what tone is intended — whether it’ll be a thoughtful melo, a human drama, or heck, a rom-com — but based on the producers’ resumés, I’m going to take a cautious guess that it’s something along the lines of light melo or heartwarming romance. (Plus, calling a relationship “bickering” is often a keyword for lighter comedic elements.) Second Love will air as a weekend drama following Beast’s Beauty, which in turn follows Mrs. Cop 2.
Via TV Report
- Kim Hee-ae courted for remake of Second to Last Love
- Ji Jin-hee, Lee Jia fall in love across time and in dreams for Snow Lotus
- Taecyeon offered political drama Assembly, Ji Jin-hee leaves
- Bloodsucking gets cutesy for fantasy-medical drama Blood
- The doctor’s bloodlust is awakened in KBS’s Blood
- Marriage angst and partner-swapping in Warm Words
- Ji Jin-hee considers new drama
- Ji Jin-hee’s November photo shoots
- The Great Seer: Episode 1