Open Thread #2
Since Open Thread #1 was a smashing success, here we go again!
First, you may notice some changes. I really like the new design/color scheme. I would’ve made more drastic changes, but that would mess up old posts and make for lots of weird clashing.
Second, I caught the new show Samantha Who? — surprisingly funny. Too bad the Hollywood writers’ strike will probably wipe out the rest of the TV season. That gives me a month to learn to love reality TV. Ooh, Project Runway starts soon. Bring on the bitchy-crazy! (Where the HELL is my chiffon?!)
Third, I’m totally behind on my drama-watching. I did not drop Mixed-up Investigative Agency, I’m just behind. Hoping to have a Mixed-up marathon over the weekend.
Fourth, someone asked in the last open thread what blogs I like to frequent. I’ve got a bunch in the LINKS page (the tab at the top) but I confess those aren’t necessarily sites I visit every day. On the other hand…
- Cuteoverload.com :: This site melts my cold, cold heart and makes me feel human. Not just ordinary human, but fuzzy-wuzzy baby-speaky giggly girly human. Good for the soul.
- Pop Candy :: Diverse and smart; it’s like the thinking man’s (American) pop culture blog. Skews heavily hipster-ese. (Virtual skinny jeans and Chucks a must.)
- Go Fug Yourself :: Two witty, snarky, pop-culture-loving and talented writers rip on celebrities. Other sites attempt similar feats, but minus the writing skills of the Fug ladies (who used to write for Televisionwithoutpity.com).
- Dooce :: Dooce is proof that you can make anything interesting if you have (1) a sense of humor and (2) wicked writing skills. She writes about her life, being a mom, and other everyday things — but rather than being narcissistic (like so many personal blogs), it’s entertaining.
- Consumerist :: Valuable info for the modern consumer. Financial and life-management tips that are readable and relevant. Learning to manage credit card debt is not only for the older, more responsible Future You, who will curse younger, reckless Now You for ruining Future You’s credit. Do not piss off Future You.
- PassiveAggressiveNotes.com :: Needs no further explanation.
As for Korea/kpop blogs, there seems to be a ton now. We probably visit some of the same ones, like Popseoul and soompi (I know, not a blog). But there are only a few that I dig that work the complete blog trifecta: well-written, well-chosen material, and entertaining. Lots of blogs are one or two of those things, but not all three. For that reason, I enjoy Korea Beat, which takes a “fun, curious slices of Korean society” approach to its entries, and Expat Jane because she’s an expat living in Seoul with funny and intelligent insights on the experience.
Am I missing any good ones? Open thread is now open for business. Comments need not apply to the above. Off-topic away!
SONG OF THE DAY
Kings of Convenience – “Misread” [ zShare download ]