12

Hwang Jung-min leads star-studded lineup for upcoming drama Suriname


Ha Jung-woo, Hwang Jung-min, Jo Woo-jin

The first script read for Suriname took place on March 22. Based on a true story about a Korean migrant that became the top drug kingpin in South American country Suriname, this project is a six-episode drama series planned to air on Netflix. Actors Jo Woo-jin (Mr. Sunshine), Yoo Yeon-seok (Hospital Playlist), Park Hae-soo (Smart Prison Living), and Chu Ja-hyun (My Unfamiliar Family) have recently confirmed that they will join Ha Jung-woo (Along with the Gods) and Hwang Jung-min (Hush) in this new drama.

Hwang Jung-min is set to play the main character who becomes an incredibly powerful drug cartel boss, and Ha Jung-woo is set to play his opposite, a national intelligence agent who’s intent on catching him. Not too much else has been revealed about the plot, but given its 35 billion won budget (approximately 31 million USD), it’s a huge project that’s being closely watched by those in the industry.


Yoo Yeon-seok, Park Hae-soo, Chu Ja-hyun

It’s being directed by Yoon Jong-bin (Gongjak, Beastie Boys), who has been a favorite director of Ha Jung-woo’s and Hwang Jung-min’s. Suriname will be Ha Jung-woo’s fifth project and Hwang Jung-min’s second with Director Yoon.

Originally, the project was supposed to be filmed in the Dominican Republic, but due to COVID-19-related travel restrictions, 80% of the filming will proceed domestically in Korea and the remaining 20% in several Southeast Asian countries. They’ve already spent a good portion of the budget building the set in Korea, so it’ll be interesting to see how much of Suriname’s natural environment they can simulate.

Suriname the drama will begin production in April, but a release date has yet to be announced.

Via Sports Hankook, StarNews

RELATED POSTS

Tags: , , , ,

12

Required fields are marked *

Comment was deleted

0
0
reply

Required fields are marked *

Wow 2 of the biggest leading man in Chungmuro are actually going to be in the same drama?
So who is next? Ahn Sung-ki and Park Hae-il? Yes please.
I think Ha Jung-woo and director Yoon are close friends from their uni days and that's why they've been working together a lot.

I'd love to see Hwang Jung-min in a movie that isn't rooted in violence for a change. Every time I see his name I already guess what kind of film it's going to be. I miss his early work like "WAIKIKI BROTHERS."

Anyway, since it's base on a true story I might watch.

3
0
reply

Required fields are marked *

I really loved Chu Ja-hyun in My Unfamiliar Family, she was great. So I'm excited to watch her in a new drama.

The casting is pretty impressive! I became suspicious of big dramas with a lot of money... They're rarely the best ones.

2
0
reply

Required fields are marked *

Suriname! thought I read it wrong. So random but great xD. And this is quite the cast! Talk about star-studded. 🌟🌟

1
0
reply

Required fields are marked *

Comment was deleted

0
0
reply

Required fields are marked *

Interesting, I'm curious as to who they cast to play the Surinamese people, this could be great or terrible.

4
0
reply

Required fields are marked *

This will be interesting--I just hope they don't rate it 18+. I make it a personal rule not to watch anything rated R, but go off of the country it was made in... which worked fine until there started to be more kdramas rated 18+ γ… γ… 

2
0
reply

Required fields are marked *

It's so good to see Ha Jung-woo again, and with Hwang Jung-min, Yoo Yeon-seok, and Park Hae-soo, as well, and on top of that Chu Ja-hyun who was so brilliant in My Unfamiliar Family. I will be glued to the screen. I loved A Spy Gone North and still search everywhere to try to find The Unforgiven. Truth to tell, I won't care how it turns out, it will be a view fest of epic proportions for my own personal viewing pleasure.

1
0
reply

Required fields are marked *

What a cast! Based on a true story too. Interesting.

4
0
reply

Required fields are marked *

Wow, I thought I read this wrong for a sec. Didn't expect both Hwang Jung Min and Ha jung woo; I'll keep my eyes peeled for this one.

1
0
reply

Required fields are marked *

Ha Jung-woo in a drama?! I think it’s his first since his turn in H.I.T years years ago. Big budget for 6 episodes - sounds like a mini movie series than a typical drama.

And great to see Chu Ja-Hyundai joining this. She’s simply magnificent in My Unfamiliar Family.

2
0
reply

Required fields are marked *

Hwang Jung-min and Ha Jung-woo of Hallyu Chungmuro in ONE DRAMA??? Wow!

0
0
reply

Required fields are marked *