Lee Jong-hyuk considers psychopath role
Wow, what a change from varietyland’s cuddly papa and dramaland’s rom-com hero. Lee Jong-hyuk wasn’t messing around when he said he’d be focusing on a big acting transformation. After parting ways with hit variety show Dad! Where Are We Going? as Season 1 came to a close, Lee Jong-hyuk is leaving his Dating Agency Cyrano and Gentleman’s Dignity phase behind him, and looking at a thriller movie for his next project.
He’s currently being courted to star in Disappearance 2, a sequel to the 18+ violent thriller Disappearance (2009). Directing will be Park Yong-jib of Miss Gold Digger. Lee Jong-hyuk is up to play a psychopath serial killer described as uncommon (I don’t know what kind of serial-killing psychopaths are common, but anyhoo). It sounds gory, because it’s a called a thriller but “no different from a horror movie,” so that already kind of freaks me out.
I’m sure Lee Jong-hyuk will play the hell out of it, since he’s great doing everything from dark and sinister to suave and slick. I have to say, I did really enjoy the long stretch where he played funny romantic comedy characters, on top of which we got to watch him bumble his way through real-life fatherhood (so cute). But you can’t blame an actor for wanting to change it up. If he signs on, it’ll be his first movie in three years, since Blue Salt.
Disappearance 2 is still casting and plans to release later this year.
- Lee Jong-hyuk drops by Master’s Sun to play So Ji-sub’s rival
- Dating Agency Cyrano: Episode 1
- Dating Agency: Cyrano releases first stills
- Poster and teasers for Dating Agency: Cyrano
- Variety Roulette: Dad! Where Are We Going?
- Lee Jong-hyuk headlines next tvN Flower Boy series
- I Summon You, Gold loses Lee Jong-hyuk in last-minute shake-up
- A Gentleman’s Dignity: Episode 1
- Crime Squad: Episode 1
- Chuno: Episodes 1-2
Tags: Lee Jong-hyuk