Hwang Woo-seul-hye joins Ruler as Yoo Seung-ho’s helper
I really liked Hwang Woo-seul-hye in her recent projects—as the funny self-involved friend who took passive-aggressiveness to new heights in Drinking Solo, and as the warm eldest sister in the weekend family drama Feel-Good Day—so I’m happy to see that she’s lined up a role in a high-profile project. She’s been confirmed to join MBC’s new sageuk Ruler–Master of the Mask, which will be her first historical drama.
The new fusion sageuk comes from PD Noh Do-chul (Mom’s Garden, Soulmate) and newbie writers Park Hye-jin and Jung Hae-ri, and stars Yoo Seung-ho (Remember–Son’s War) as a Joseon crown prince who fights against a shadowy organization that wants to privatize the nation’s water supply. It’s based on true events in which the wealthy elite attempted to become even wealthier by making the people pay for their water. Kim So-hyun (Bring It On, Ghost) co-stars as a young woman determined to get revenge when the prince orders the death of her father, but she ends up falling in love with him instead.
Hwang Woo-seul-hye has been cast to play Yoo Seung-ho’s helper, described as a strong, reliable woman who will become his informant. Yoon So-hee (Memory) will play the granddaughter of the prince’s greatest enemy, played by Heo Joon-ho (Beautiful Mind); she’s a tragic character who will forsake her family for love. And Infinite’s L (She’s So Lovable) is the son of a butcher who will become a “fake king” who stands in for Yoo Seung-ho.
It’s really the main leads who have my interest, because they’re experienced sageuk actors despite their young age, and they already look great together in the teaser. May seems so far away, but it’ll be here in no time, right?
- A tense stand-off and a promise in Ruler–Master of the Mask’s first teaser
- Yoon So-hee joins Ruler–Master of the Mask, L in contention
- Kim So-hyun to romance Yoo Seung-ho in MBC’s Ruler–Master of the Mask
- Yoo Seung-ho’s Ruler–Master of the Mask in talks to air on MBC in spring
- Drinking Solo: Episode 1
- Yoo Seung-ho courted to become fantasy sageuk prince
- Solid ensemble gathered for heartwarming family movie Jang-soo Company
- Lee Sang-woo and Park Se-young headline weekend drama