MBC courts Ha Ji-won for human medical drama Hospital Ship
I’ve been eagerly awaiting news about the next wave of dramas, and who better than Ha Ji-won (The Time I’ve Loved You) to usher it in? MBC has announced a new Wednesday-Thursday drama for its midsummer lineup titled Hospital Ship, which centers around a vessel that sails around the islands to service their rural villages.
Hospital Ship will be a human medical drama, and purports to tell the growth stories of young doctors in a way that resonates with today’s society. Ha Ji-won has been offered the role of surgeon Song Eun-jae, who decides to join the hospital ship for a fresh start to escape the public stigma that hits her when her family is ruined. The premise reminds me of Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim with its “big-city doctor finds him/herself while working in a backwoods hospital” setup, which I thought worked very well for that show and gave it a quirky tone. And considering what a smash hit that show was for SBS last year, it’s not a bad comparison to draw.
The drama will be directed by PD Park Jae-bum of last year’s daily drama Begin Again, legal drama A New Leaf, weekend serial Scandal, and melodrama I Miss You. That’s quite the range in genres, while Yoon Seon-joo has mostly worked in the sageuk realm, some of them quite good: Hwang Jin-yi (which starred Ha Ji-won), The Immortal Lee Soon-shin, Great King Sejong, and Secret Door. I’m interested to see a heartwarming human success story emerge from those disparate credits.
Hospital Ship is being considered for for a July premiere in the timeslot following Yoo Seung-ho’s upcoming sageuk Ruler–Master of the Mask.
- A novelist tries to catch a murderer in Life-Risking Romance
- Lee Byung-heon out of John Woo film, Ha Ji-won possibly in
- The Time I’ve Loved You: Episode 1
- Ha Ji-won and Lee Jin-wook get friendly for Time I’ve Loved You’s press conference
- Ha Ji-won considers new rom-com project Risking Life For Love
- Movie Review: Closer to Heaven (2009)
- First teaser for warm human comedy Chronicle of a Blood Merchant
- Ha Ji-won and Ha Jung-woo’s sweet courtship in Blood Merchant
- Ha Ji-won leads trio of badass fighters in The Huntresses