Rating:
Average user rating 0.0

Premiere Watch: Investigation Couple, Come Here and Hug Me

MBC’s got a fresh slate of prime-time weekday dramas on the way, which will hopefully turn things around for the network ratings-wise, following the rather dismal showing from The Great Seducer and Let’s Hold Hands and Watch the Sunset.

Investigation Couple

Time slot: Monday & Tuesday
Broadcaster: MBC
Genre: Crime procedural
Episode count: 32 (half-hour episodes, 16 hours total)

Reasons to watch: This is a forensic investigation procedural that promises hard-hitting crime and no romance, so I think that pretty much says it all to help you decide whether it’s in your wheelhouse. Veteran actor Jung Jae-young is probably the biggest reason to watch this, since he’s got a meaty antihero role as a geeeeenius medical examiner who’s obsessed with his work and completely insensitive to everything else around him. Jung Yumi (of Bravo My Life and Six Flying Dragons) co-stars as the rookie prosecutor who has to deal with his idiosyncrasies to solve her cases. This comes from PD Noh Do-chul of Ruler–Master of the Mask, General Hospital 2, and Soulmate, among others. That’s kind of a mixed bag and the less said about Ruler–Master of the Mask, the better, so hopefully the crime procedural is more his thing.

Come Here and Hug Me

Time slot: Wednesday & Thursday
Broadcaster: MBC
Genre: Romance melodrama
Episode count: 32 (half-hour episodes, 16 hours total)

Reasons to watch: This is a melodrama about the son of a serial killer who falls in love with the daughter of one of his victims. Talk about your obstacles to love, sheesh. It’s a cast of fresh faces, and I’m most interested to see up-and-comer Jang Ki-yong (My Ajusshi, Go Back Spouses) step into his first leading role after playing some memorable supporting characters in the last year. He plays a cop and the son of a notorious psychopathic serial killer, who reconnects with his first love only to find that they’re horribly linked through one of his father’s crimes. Jin Ki-joo is also headlining her first drama after small roles in Misty and Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo, and here she’ll be playing a young starlet with a tragic past. I can’t imagine worse odds stacked against a couple, but if dramas have taught us anything, it’s that the more ill-fated lovers are, the stronger the pull.

Tags: ,

Thank you, @girlfriday!!

I have been waiting impatiently for Come Here and Hug Me.
I have been so impressed by Jang Ki-yong's acting...

You can watch the episodes of this drama on KOCOWA.com websites, they upload the episodes with ENG SUBS really fast.

So practically Jang Ki-yong will be playing IU‘s role this time around, kind of.

His role seems familiar to his character in My Ahjussi expect he isn't a psycho who beats up the woman he likes but tries to protect her

I think these dramas will take a back seat for me at the moment. There's already so many I'm watching, so I'll probably come back to these when there's a lull in drama land.
It's going to be so weird seeing Jang Ki-Young in a positive main lead light cuz of his role in My Ahjussi right now lol. But I'm sure he'll do well.
Also are any of the beanies gonna be recapping these shows?
Because I don't see a thumbnail for Lawless Lawyer, does that mean it's not gonna be recapped?! TT__TT (Has anyone found the show with subs yet?)

Nope, it's weird because I believe Viki has the rights, I've been waiting on the subs since saturday.

Me too. I actually went ahead and watched episode 1 without subs and while I understood most of It, I want to enjoy it to the max. So now I'm just waiting for ep 2 to be subbed. Wonder what's taking so long.

Me too. I love both the leads, so I'm hoping it is subbed soon.

They're both so bad ass.

Hmmm.....after My Ajusshi, can my heart take more angsty feels?

Sure, why not?! Come Here and Hug Me sounds interesting, and now that Jang Ki Yong is on the radar, I might give this a try. Actually, I'm more interested in seeing Jin Ki Joo given that I rather liked her portrayal of Chae-Ryung in MLSHR.

I just don't know how I'm going to feel about Jang ki Yong's character in CHAHM after his role in my ajusshi ! He needs to do extra work to make his character here so likable so that I can forget Kwang Il .

Watch a little bit of Go Back Couple and you will think he is a very innocent and lovely young man. 😊

Same! I should have watched GBC before watching My Ahjussi. I’m excited for CHAHM me though.

Anticipating “Investigation Couple “, and I like Jin Ki Joo (even though the only thing I’ve ever watched of hers is “Scarlet Heart: Ryeo”) 😊😊

sorry to ask, you haven't seen Splish Splash Love?

I’ve heard great things about it, but, no, i haven’t 😅😅

Oh I didn't realize Jin Ki-joo is Kim Seul-gi's best friend in "Splash Splash Love." I've re-watched that show several time, but I just couldn't register that "Han Ji-won" character in Misty.

I think the PD will feel quite at ease here, since he had much practice with murder, I mean character assassination in Ruler. Some may say that drama is in itself a "hard-hitting crime with no romance."

Ahhh....now that you mention it.... **lightbulb moment 💡**

Somehow I am happy that the following shows seem to be not so good, or at least not so interesting for me... 🙄 Because it means I can repeat what I loved from last year and this year so far. Avengers social club, prison playbook, mother, just between lovers, and repeat from beginning to end My ajusshi???😀
I have decided that from this round, in between my ajusshi, pretty noona and APAD, ajusshi is the best drama. Let's pray for a great finale this week!!!!
But anyway I am excited to repeat. Also I want to finish switch and waikiki, which I dropped halfway through

I'm still to see Avengers social club, Prison playbook, Mother and Just Between Lovers so I'm happy to catch up rather than pick up something new. Still, if Beanies go crazy I may change my mind. That's what happened with APAD.

If you catch up with these shows, let me know. Then I will have someone to gloss over it for a second time 😄😅😆😄😊😀

I will definitely be here with bells on when I finally do because I know how many people love all four of these shows.

I still haven't seen Prison Playbook and Mother either so it will be catch up for me too.

I’m also planning to finish Prison Playbook this cycle! But CHAHM looks CHARMing, even with all the angst, and I’m interested in seeing how the main lead portrays a tortured cop.

I hear you! He was so dreamy in Go Back couples. I miss seing him nice (compared to violent in My Ajusshi).

So, is it a good thing, I haven't watched Jang Ki-yong in My Ahjussi? He still holds a soft spot for me in GBS. But this is a melo? Ugh, usually not my cup of tea, which is another reason why I didn't watch JBL. Do I watch or not watch? Maybe I'll wait to see the reviews for the 1st couple of episodes.

Okay, he is your avatar so you have to watch at least the first episode! 😁

So, true! He looked really handsome in uniform from those teasers I saw.

It looks like they took his character from GBC and plopped him right into this drama. I hope he does well, he really has the trifecta: Tall, handsome, and can act. Hopefully this show shoots him to stardom so he can pick more "normal" drama's in the future. I just don't know about this serial killer father storyline....

I'm still going to watch it though. 😬

And recap it too, I hope!

@ally-le Just finished recapping it! It was surprisingly GOOOOOOOD. I can't even believe I am writing that. I am so surprised. I will post it today!

@veeee, I have been refreshing for your recap so many times now, I watched it raw and its really Gooood. Love you so much. *Hugs and Kisses for you*
The nail paint and sharanghe ahjussi ! The opening two scenes and I was sold out for 16 eps.

@ally-le It's up!

I'll probably post tomorrow's episode around the same time as I posted today's!

Wait !!!! You haven't watched My AJusshi nor Just Jetween Lovers !! , You're missing out on two of the best kdramas out there imo

I started the first 10 minutes of My Ahjussi when it first came out, but I had too many dramas on my plate, I had to put it on hold. I do plan on watching this one, though.

That is exactly what I thought!!! It is like... missing out everything!!! 😂
(I know it's not true) but really... my ajusshi, JBL... Mother... these are the great great leagues! Producers and writers have it hard to beat these shows up... 🤓

Jang Ki Yong performance in My Ajusshi > His performance in Go Back COuple. All I could care is performance. And his char in My AJusshi is more challenging. Hopefully he can continue this kind of performances in this drama, because I 've watched the trailer and it's look so epic...

What! Why the name "Investigation Couple" screams romance. What were they thinking?

Indeed. Title sounds like there should be romance. It is 'man and woman' in Korean title.

I watched the first episode. It was ok. Jung Yoo-mi character felt so dumb as prosecutor, but lovable otherwise.

In english yes but korean title sounds differently.

"geeeeenius" gets to me every time. LOL

Jin Ki-joo was also the lead in the cute mini-drama "Wednesday at 3:30pm". I've liked her since Splish Splash Love, and she's good at comedy... don't know if she'll get to use that much in Come Here and Hug Me though.

I loved Wednesday 3:30pm! I’m definitely watching this then!

Come here and hug me sounds interesting.

Watched the first two episodes. I like the teen actress, Ryoo Han-Bi, hopefully we’ll see more of her. She reminds me of Kim So-Hyun a bit.

Even though they say "No romance" I'd start watching and probably want to ship them.
Why I do that, I don't know.

I want to watch Come Here And Hug Me just so I can support Jang Ki-yong. He had great roles in two of my favorite shows ever. I LOVE Go Back Couple and didn't even recognize him in My Ahjussi when he first popped up. Which is a positive for his acting. Because those two characters could not be more different.

Truee tell me about it! First time I watched My Ajusshi I didn't recognise him, just thought damn this hot villain is ruthless whyyy...then realised he looked like the Go Back Couple guy, in denial for a bit, but then checked it online and ran whining to my husband that my favorite SLS is now a bad guy. My husband was not amused.

I am looking forward to "Come Here and Hug Me"! Now I will have two shows to watch, since I continue to enjoy "Greasy Melo/ Wok of Love".

OH! Come Here & Hug Me reminds me of one of my all time favorite J-doramas, Soredemo, Ikite Yuku (Still, Life Goes On). A child, a little girl, is killed by a young boy in her neighbourhood. Years later, her older brother meets the killer's younger sister and falls in love. It's a gentle, slice of life melo with a lovely soundtrack. I can hear it even now! ^^

Come Here & Hug Me, I'll give you a try, but I won't be able to stop myself from comparing you to the old, gentle favorite. ^^ Hoping you hold up!

It reminds me also the Korean special Just An Ordinary Love. (That was also the drama where I first noticed Yeon Woo Jin...)

I'm interested in 'come here and hug me' because of the fresh faces and the angsty romance. Wasn't on my radar when they first announced the plot but his father being a serial killer is kinda new to me so I'm interested to see how it'll turn out. Jang Ki young has impressed me from Go back couple (swoon worthy) and My Ahjussi (downright crazy) and Jin Ki Joo from Misty and all her previous work so fingers crossed it's a good one.

Forget My Ahjussi , I loved Jang Ki-yong in The Boy Next Door . But I'm not sure that's enough for me based on that plot. My viewing week is packed as it is.

I didn't realise... oh you are right!!
That mini show was hilarious!
Thank you for reminding me! ^^

The Boy Next Door - so so funny

I love Jang Ki Young!
The Boy Next Door: LOL like a crazy person, just can't stop my laughter.
Go back couple: swoon..sweet..like a teenage girl in love..hehehe.
My Ahjussi : Want to punch him!!! *Angry Mode*
Come and Hug Me: Look like I will cry a lot..

He was also in the liar and his lover as one of the band mates. He looked so different there with curly hair compared to now.

I just realized I've seen Jang Ki Yong and Jin Ki-Joo in some of their earlier works - We Broke Up (JKY) and Splish Splash Love (JKJ)..I liked them too in their more recent dramas, plus Come Here and Hug Me plot reminds me somewhat of Just Between Lovers plot which I loved.

The moment "Come and Hug Me" finding a new leading man in Jang Ki Young, I am on-board though I have that reservation towards Jin Ki Joo. There's something about her voice which turned me off.

Still no english subs for "Lawless Lawyer", but I am happy that this show will air on Malaysia's 8tv starting tomorrow 🤗. So done with subbed huntinh and got to have that happy dose of watching my two faves Jun Ki and Yea Ji.

Jin Ki-joo was fierce in "Misty", I'm glad she's the lead in this one.

Heo Jun-ho is a great actor too, I loved him as Jang Hyuk's father in "Beautiful Mind".

Jang Ki-yong is going to suffer more in this one, hope to he him soon in a fluffy rom-com - as the lead.

I’m excited for both. Bring on the variety of genres, I’m digging it!

Hello girlfriday,

You or Javabeans is not recapping Lee Jun Ki's drama? :(

Hopefully Come Here and Hug Me is good since I really like Jin Ki Joo from Twenty Years Again, Wednesday 3pm and Splish Splash Love. Also I have only ever seen Jang Ki Yong in The Liar and His Lover. Despite the small role, he is likeable as Crude Play's drummer.

I have been on a drama dry spell for months and months and I am rather looking forward to Come Here and Hug Me. I became a fan of Jang Ki Yong for his portrayal in Go Back Spouses. Jin Ki Joo is refreshing and funny in Splish Splash Love. Both of them are cute in promotional interviews and Bts cuts. I am sold and will hopefully invest some time to watch it.

Y'all. I can't believe I am writing this but Come and Hug Me's first episode was good. Here is the live-ish quickcap:

The first Look is on Viki but it is only available for 48 hours:

It is also available on On Demand Korea:

Hi @veeee. I took the plunge last night and watched the first 4 episodes of COME AND HUG ME. I really enjoyed them.
You have a great site and I registered my email address a short while ago. I peeked in from time to time during the GRAND PRINCE run but I will get caught up and run out CAHM with you. I am sure our beanie friend @pakalanapikake is a frequent visitor.
Your shorthand character list is very helpful as it was for GP.
Thanks for All your work.

Thank you so much Bong-soo and thank you for visiting! Yes @pakalanapikake stops by sometimes and always has wonderful insight on the dramas. I I look forward to seeing you over there for Come and Hug Me!

One reason I loved and started watching kdramas rather than Western tv shows is because I do NOT like procedurals and episodic dramas. So here we are, a procedural. Think I'll skip that one, but Come Here and Hug Me had me from the beginning. Totally emotionally invested.

I loved it from the get go. The acting is also pretty good so far, especially from the teen leads. I'm just a bit put off by the camera work, the warm and soft hues used, and the background music. But other than those, everything else is working for me. (It also helps that Jang Ki Yong is lovely to look at and has the acting chops to boot.)

The warm and soft hues and especially the music, you might say are a little cheesy and melodramatic, but it must be the kind of cheese I like! I thought it added to the emotions of the scenes very nice. But I think this is the scariest horror anything I've ever seen. It really builds the horror very well.

His psychopath dad is giving me nightmares! He's super scary.

Forgot to say: you know when there's an overly unrealistic happy family in a kdrama that something bad is going to happen to them! But I found her mom a bit creepy.

I wonder if Jung Jae Young regrets being in this drama. It is so embarassing to watch a prosecutor who doesn't know how to prosecute, has no idea about crime scene procedure, being hysterical over every single thing that maybe there is only one line in two whole episodes where she doesn't shout, has tacky sidekicks, facing a one dimensional villain. I feel everyone is over the top in portraying their characters and it's so painful to watch.

If I could give you a million likes, I would. I suspect Jung Jaeyoung is taking on more dramas these days cos he's got a family and needs a more regular source of income. Assembly was a good choice and Duel was ok, but Investigation Couple is (so far) as bad a K drama as I've ever seen. I'm still watching it though, just to see his deadpan contempt for the stupidity surrounding him (eg I can't believe that idiot prosecutor blamed him for the acquittal of the chaebol wife-beater). Oh, and also to see him whipping random things out of his Bum Bag* of Awesomeness, like that plastic bag that he clapped over Eun Sol's mouth when she needed to throw up.

Actually, I feel almost more sorry for Jung Yumi than I do for JJY. She's not a great actress, but with good writing, good direction and hard work I think she could be as good as UEE in Marriage Contract and IU in My Ahjusshi. Instead, she's stuck with this badly written caricature of a "passionate prosecutor with a strong sense of justice". Sigh.

*"Fanny pack" in American.

If it is the worst drama (after these 2 episodes) for you it means that you have watched not enough. Even among few dramas about pathologists there is one little monster called Sign from Kim Eun-Hee (screenwriter of such amazing dramas like Phantom or Signal). Oh that's what I can call bad even after first episod. Amount of pathos and absurd is intolerable. But what we can expect from drama where main villain is rich heiress who killed (in first episode) famous idol using pillow and she didn't even try to hide it. Ah that famous pillow.

I’m so impressed by the plot of Come and Hug Me! It reminds me a lot of I Remember You which is a cult favorite of mine.

The younger actors sell the plot so well that I hope the adult actors can transition into their roles seamlessly. Kang Ki Young is already doing such a good job so far with the role. He may have a limited portfolio but he’s already shown that he has range. When I first saw him in The Liar and His Lover I wasn’t very impressed by the bland performance of most of the cast in that drama. But watching him later in Go Back Spouses and My Ahjusshi, I’m convinced he has talent in spades and will go very far in the industry if he continues to choose such smart, diverse roles such as these.

Your reference to I REMEMBER YOU (2015) (also one of my favorites) sealed the deal so I tonight I watched the first 4 episodes of COME AND HUG ME. I really enjoyed these first episodes. It reminds me of the dramas OCN produces. I thought this was my first Jang Ki-yong drama but checking AsianWiki I see it is not. He appeared in another one of my favorites A BEAUTIFUL MIND (2016) along with Heo Joon-ho who is Psycho Dad in CAHM.

I watched the first two episodes (well, 'four') of Come and Hug Me and dare I say I am in love with Jang ki Yong, i sure hope he isn't a asshole in real life because i am over korean actors being assholes. The drama reminds of Missing You. Now bear in mind i did not watch missing you, but i know what the main plot was about or more exactly speaking, the childhood story of the leads, and honestly CAHM feels like that. But the actor who plays the psycho killer dad, he is doing a great job of making me scared of him. Here's to hoping the drama has solid viewer ratings, i feel like both leads deserve it.

I watched the premiere weeks episodes of '"Come here and hug me" and I must say this drama is great. The leads are effing beautiful separately and together whether its their child version or grown up version. The child actors did a great job and even look like their grown up counter parts. The actor playing the psycho serial killer is also doing amazing. Finally a K-drama that is making me look forward to the next episodes. I hope it stays good! Also super grateful to Suzy and Nam Joo Hyuk for rejecting this!

Suzy ? 😓 Dodged a bullet there!

Had an hour to kill before bed and thought, sure, I'll check out Come Here and Hug me. Had no real idea about it and knew none of the actors....

It's so good! I blew through the first week of eps. Acting on point, sure directing, good visuals and music and great editing. It's hard to judge writing based on just a couple eps, but the writer has already added all sorts of layers to each character, even the Psycho Papa.

I'm getting total JBL vibes because of the repressed emotion and past trauma, plus the often dreamlike, subdued feel. There are marked differences of course, but I immediately thought of that drama.

I had no idea this would be so tense and creepy, either! But it is in a really great way. This show is just the type that I like, and I'm so excited to keep watching.

Hi @ultramafic. I am with you. I watched the first 4 episodes last night and I thought wow! As I mentioned above. This series reminds me of OCN dramas which I love. I did not get to watch JUST BETWEEN LOVERS but I remember reading good things about it.