Song Joong-ki considers Signal writer’s zombie apocalypse drama
It’s a big day for Song Joong-ki, who just announced his impending marriage to Descended From the Sun co-star Song Hye-gyo. The two actors met on the set of the hit drama, which started filming back in June of 2015, and are planning to get married this October. Song Joong-ki is also considering a drama comeback as early as later this year in Kingdom, the highly anticipated new project from writer Kim Eun-hee of Signal, Ghost, and Sign. His reps say that he’s considering an offer to headline, but is not confirmed for the role.
Kingdom is a zombie apocalypse sageuk set in Joseon, about a crown prince who sets out to investigate a mysterious plague that’s spreading across his country. What he discovers is an atrocious epidemic in the form of zombies. The blockbuster-scale drama will be helmed by film director Kim Sung-hoon (Tunnel, A Hard Day), and has been planned for a total of 8 episodes which will be completely pre-produced.
Song Joong-ki has played his share of kings and badasses, so I’d vote for him to lead a war against zombies. I’m just happy he’s considering a new drama, even if it’s going to be a measly 8 episodes. I’m mostly excited about seeing the first zombie K-drama, because after watching Train to Busan, my expectations are pretty damn high. But I have every faith that if anyone could write the perfectly thrilling zombie apocalypse drama, it’d be Kim Eun-hee. There’s just something really appealing about Joseon zombies—more swords, fewer resources, more carnage! Yay?
Kingdom will be a Netflix original series, and plans to begin production in September for a premiere later this year.
- Song Joong-ki, Hwang Jung-min, So Ji-sub escape Battleship Island
- Signal writer’s new drama Kingdom will be about Joseon zombie apocalypse
- Signal writer teams with A Hard Day director for new sageuk Kingdom
- 2016 KBS Drama Awards
- Hit thriller Signal writer Kim Eun-hee announces next project
- Song Joong-ki to cameo in Descended writer’s new drama Man to Man
- Oh Snap! Song Joong-ki is too good for this headline
- Descended From the Sun: Episode 1
- Dueling press conferences: Descended From the Sun vs. Come Back, Ajusshi