Rating:
Average user rating 5.0

Storms and danger lie ahead in OCN’s Watcher

A new teaser and poster have been released for OCN’s upcoming crime-thriller Watcher, featuring the lead actors Han Seok-kyu (Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim), Kim Hyun-joo (Miracle That We Met), and Seo Kang-joon (The Third Charm).

The three leads play characters from different specialties in the field of law and justice. Seo Kang-joon plays a police officer, Kim Hyun-joo is former prosecutor-turned-defense attorney; and Han Seok-kyu is a senior detective. The three become connected by a tragic incident, and the clues to the cause of the tragedy point toward corruption within the law force. The trio then team up to form an internal investigations unit – with Han Seok-kyu as their leader – and take on the challenging task of rooting out the perpetrators hidden among their ranks.

The newly released poster shows the three actors gathered together around a table, deep in discussion over the papers and files piled on the table. The color palette is cold and dark, but the room is lighted by the rays of sunlight shining through the tall windowpanes along the wall. The caption on the poster reads, “Who watches the watchers?”

The teaser shows us glimpses of the three main characters and the conflict that they’re up against. It starts with a man in a phone booth while rain falls and lightning flashes outside of the phone booth. There is a quick intercut of Han peering around the corner and we cut away to Seo Kang-joon walking with a flashlight through a dark warehouse. In voice-over, we hear Han Seok-kyu warning, “If you hesitate, then another person could die.” As he narrates, the scene changes to Han Seok-kyu talking to Seo Kang-joon as they sit at a table in a locker room, before it transitions to the two of them standing outside. The next sequence shows Seo twisting a man’s arm behind his back and slamming him against a wall. It quickly cuts back to the man in the phone booth, who hangs up the receiver and exits the booth. The next scenes show us a distressed and bloodied woman who is tied up with her mouth taped shut; then a rear shot of someone walking down a hallway with a gun in hand. We return to Han Seok-kyu seated at the table with Seo Kang-joon as Han explains, “I catch the bad cops” and it cuts away to Kim Hyun-joo meeting someone in a field. Then Seo’s back, patrolling the dark warehouse, before it cuts to a pair of bloody hands reaching for a cellphone on the ground. The teaser comes to an end as it flashes back to the man in the phone booth, showing a close-up of his face as he talks to someone on the payphone while the storm rages outside.

OCN drama Watcher is currently set to premiere next month on July 6, 2019.

Via Xports News

Tags: , , ,

Gonna watch this, for sure. The posters look really good and what else can I say, I am always up for psychological thrillers.

i eagerly await

I'm ready for it!

It's OCN - of course I'll watch it.

The poster look so cool. So basically they will become a team to fight corruption and doing investigation. Either they team up from the get go and let the flasback or exposition tell a story behind it, or they team up unconditionally due to one case and the build upbof their relationship start from there.

Either way, I can't wait to watch it. Since the concept seems so cool and I used to check the first 2 episode my bias drama. Lol

@missjb,
You may know this already but if not WATCHER is now on the COMING SOON list at Vicki!
I was making a perfunctory check and there it was.
I can't believe it. Perhaps OCN's KILL IT licensed by Viki was the start of something good.

I didn't expecting It either. Considering this drama seems has little hype around it. And has little interest around international and local community. Now we will have reliable translation. I don't mind to wait alittle longer.

Yup

Fingers crossed that it will be available subbed.

Thank you Viki!

Love OCN but not gonna watch this!

Why?

I can't enjoy a show if I don't like the actors. :(

Love the casts..

Great cast! July 6th can't come soon enough.

Watched ep. 1 today and am definitely drawn into the mystery of Yeong-goon's parents. I wonder if Yeong-goon already suspects our pair of bad cops were behind it. I sure do.

Afterwards I realized how much children were drawn into this sinister world: young Yeong-goon, who witnessed a murder; Ah-reum, hiding in the bathtub; the boy who was kidnapped; and Detective Jang/Bad Cop #1's own daughter, reading with him in bed. It's unsettling to see them all exposed in one way or another.

I watched it too,

However since it looks as though not even ep1& 2 will be recapped on dramabeans it's pointless for someone like me, who can't really put 2 and 2 together even with subs, to continue watching this show...even though it seems good.

Definitely will give it another try if I get bored ๐Ÿ˜‰.

So Jang Hae Ryong's now-dead minion kidnapped and abused Han Tae Joo?

I'm sure JHR is also behind Yeong-goon's tragedy. It's just a little too convenient that YG is now on a team with the his father's former colleague/arresting officer and the woman who prosecuted the case, and that their target is responsible for all their personal tragedies.

๐Ÿ˜‚ these connections are the staple of Kdramas. Usually they take away the fun a little, but sometimes shows are excuted well enough that they make.sense in the story. I'm hoping this show is going to be the latter.

I think there is a character they have not introduced. I feel JHR may be a red herring. of course, i could be completely wrong ; )

@zzthorn @linda-palapala @kurama If you want to talk more about Watcher eps. 1 and 2, here's one place we could do that.

Thanks for the links.

I am back, bored as hell hoping for some more shock factored this week.

Oops wrong drama, lol,๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜‚

Dramabeans??

Doesn't look like this is on track to be recapped.

I'll join in. I wonder if the flashback that YG had in the warehouse was connected to the situation he witnessed or the bad cop. The now dead detective seemed to young to me to be so deeply involved in YG childhood tragedy.

I took it as a PTSD flashback due to what he witnessed as a kid. Like you said, the cop looked too young to be involved.

I thought it was the words. The words that the father was saying -- just spare my son -- took him back to that moment when his mother was dying and pleading, just spare my son.

Was it really his father who killed his mother? Did Yeong-goon ever see the face? I have to think JHR either instigated it somehow or was actually the murderer.

I thought it was two separated memories? One of his mother, who died at their home, and one that was connected to the warehouse.

Yes, the pleading for the child's life was what I saw as the trigger, too.

I've been wondering about that too. He said to that corrupt cop that his father is a murderer and he witnessed it, but I feel like there's more to the story. I wonder how much he actually witnessed first-hand and whether he misinterpreted anything as a child.

Or another possibility that I'm wondering about is whether he lied and is still lying about his father being the murderer, since he couldn't do anything about it back then, so that the real murderer won't suspect that YG grew up and became a cop to catch him.

@lindag

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that, but that is very kdrama-like ๐Ÿ˜‰. I can see that being a possibility.

@lindag, that's interesting theory, but would be possible for little kid who just witnessed his mother's murder to come up with such a plan? I thought he has something like amnesia due to shock? And just go with what people told him, tha this father is murderer?

@shach, he mentioned that he was not asked to testify at the trial ("No one asked me.") So he could have decided to keep his mouth shut as a child out of fear and powerlessness. But as he grew up, he could have decided to become a cop to catch the man/men who destroyed his family and left him feeling afraid and powerless. It seems clear that his father is not still around. So I wouldn't be surprised that the bad guy also arranged his demise in prison.

@lindag, latebloomer,
Thanks for hijacking rather scouting out this place for WATCHER fans. This is my comment at the Premier watch post after watching the first two episodes.

It does not appear that WATCHER will be recapped so this may be the place for fans to discuss episodes.
Warning! Possible Spoilers!
Yesterday I watched the first 2 episodes. Some random thoughts:
1. I loved what I saw. OCN has come through again with an intriguing, gritty crime drama;
2. Before getting to Seo Kang-joon, I want to reference two other actors. Heo Sung-tae (portraying Chief Jang Hae-ryong) is cornering the market for playing bad guys/heavies. Already he gives me the creeps and I expect more from him. Lee Jae-yoon gave a fine (cameo) performance as corrupt Det. Kim Kang-wook.
Like Lee Joon-gi, LJY is a student of Brazilian jiu-jitsu. In his several fight scenes his athletic ability was obvious in his physicality. The LJY-SKJ fight scenes were excellent. SKJ is obviously also in great shape;
3. All three leads nicely established their characters. I know it is early days but in two episodes we know all three leads are wounded but have backbones; and
4. Seo Kang-joon is a major reason I am watching and I think he is terrific as Officer Kim Young-koon. I am looking forward to the next episodes.

Obviously, here is a better place for fans to discuss episodes.

another 'Watcher' watcher here!
loving it so far. 2 episodes down.

Watcher:
Finally caught up with the first two episodes and love it!! I love a good mystery/thriller and this show promises to be one. It felt like too many characters were being introduced, all of them in a grey murky zone. But by the end of second episode things got a bit clear. Still a lot of grey to keep us guessing. I hope they can keep up this pace for 14 more episodes.

I really like all the grey characters--it makes things a lot more interesting. With these kinds of procedural/cop dramas you often get straight-forward "good" and "bad" characters, so I'm liking the blurred lines here.

I watched ep. 3 last night. I have mixed feelings about it. SPOILERS AHEAD. I think the organ trafficking plot is a little contrived, and the idea that the big boss would show up to track down a missing "donor," prepared to kill to get her back, is a little far-fetched. Surely someone who was smart enough to survive in that business for so long without getting caught has minions that he can send instead of going himself.

I'm also intrigued that somehow this organ trafficking plot somehow connects to the personal attack on HTJ back then. How does she know that Prosecutor Lee knows who did it? And what's with him? Is he playing both sides against the middle? One thing is for sure, when he said that he would tell her when this case was over, I was sure that would not happen, probably because he would get killed and take that secret with him.

What experienced cop would set up an operation like this when an unreliable witness could destroy it with a few words?

Agree, I felt let down by this episode, this organ trafficking plot didn't make much sense, and I hope they don't try to connect every case to main plot, I just don't want them to go the route so typical for OCN, high on action, low on logic.

With the high calibre of the actors in this drama, you would hope they had a high-calibre script. I thought the first two episodes were really well done. Do you suppose they switch off between different writers?

Nah, it's just Korean writers are not particularly good with procedurals, when it comes to details, I don't know why it's that genre but that how I see it. Even Chinese drama are better in that.

Also, I'm SO GLAD we are having this discussion even though DB is not recapping.

@lindag @shach
I agree with you both about episode 3. I still enjoyed it, but it didn't feel as tightly (or believably) written. The whole organ trafficking thing felt a bit off to me. Of course the acting is still so solid that I'm invested in the characters none the less.

So Prosecutor Lee did die without spilling the beans.

Just, why would the murderer-cop stop to snip the thumb off a dead man? Doesn't that make it possible for the investigators to tie the cases together? Why would a cop do that?

If Detective Do's supervisor were a little younger and a little taller, I would suspect him. Since he gets to open and close the investigations, he's in the perfect position to hide his own dirty deeds. Having Detective Do work for him would be a great cover.

Maybe he needed his thumb-print for something...like to get in a super secret safe...๐Ÿคจ

Maybe he likes his trophies as any self respected serial killer;) But seriously there is something unnerving with this recurring line about thumbs and humanity.
I think it's someone we haven't met yet, someone Det. Jang would look up to, and someone who was able to twist Det. Kim to made him into psychopath apprentice.

@lindag latebloomer,
Sorry for this basic question. How is Attorney Han Tae-joo, as a non-police civilian, able to work on the Corrupt Investigation Team? She walked in with the Commissioner when Chief Do learned about its creation. So assuming she was hired by the Commissioner I would think she would still not have any police powers like the ability to arrest someone.
She has prosecutorial experience and contacts. She has her assistant (I am not sure if he has a title so for now) Mr. Hong. I wonder if she and the Commissioner have a side deal of some sort.

Maybe because she used to be a prosecutor, she was a good candidate for investigating prosecutors? I don't know, it's another one of those too-convenient things needed to make the story work.