Yes, please, can we make this happen? We’ve gone through a lot of casting possibilities for Scholar Who Walks the Night, but if ever I wanted one to stick, it would be this one: Kim So-eun is the latest leading lady in contention, and is “positively considering” the sageuk fantasy romance set in the Joseon era about a vampire scholar who falls in love with a young woman who dresses as a man in order to sell books.
Lee Jun-ki recently signed on to play Mr. Vampire, and while I would’ve loved for him to act alongside previous heroine contender Han Groo (…though not so much the most recent contender, Jin Se-yeon), if we can’t have Han I would be happy with Kim So-eun. She’s got a great bubbly charm and has the ability to take characters with frustrating traits and make them relatable onscreen, which is a pretty crucial skill when dramaland is so littered with underdeveloped (or badly developed) heroines. She did that with the wide-eyed and overly trusting heroine of Liar Game, for instance, plus she’s also got sageuk experience under her belt (Horse Healer, Iron Empress). I’m down to see how she matches up against Lee Jun-ki.
Kim’s reps have confirmed that she is working out the final details with the producers — which, while not a confirmation, sounds like it’s farther along in the process than the others got. If I cross my fingers extra hard, will that help?
Scholar Who Walks the Night will be a Wednesday-Thursday MBC drama premiering in July.
- Lee Jun-ki signs on to become vampire scholar
- Jin Se-yeon courted to romance Lee Jun-ki in Scholar Who Walks the Night
- Changmin makes sageuk debut in Scholar Who Walks the Night
- Lee Jun-ki courted to become vampire scholar of the night
- Han Groo offered leading role in Scholar Who Walks the Night
- Liar Game: Episode 1
- Trailer and highlights: Let the Liar Game begin
- Oh Snap! Ghost Story of a Girl
- Kang Haneul and Kim So-eun as human boy and ghost girl