Rating:
Average user rating 4.3

Drama Hangout: Mouse

Once again, revelations came fast and furious this week and we’re finally getting some clarity and insight on who our leading man really is.

Watching Mouse is a little like being on a scavenger hunt, with clues scattered all over the place. For viewers following the hints over the last couple of weeks, we’ve now got confirmation as to what happened to Jung Ba-reum’s (Lee Seung-gi) parents, and it was just as grim as I’ve come to expect from this drama.

I may be one of the last people to have realized Jung Ba-reum’s true nature, but unlike me Moo-chi (Lee Hee-joon) is very quick on the uptake and he’s already put together that something’s gravely amiss. So far, each new truth that’s been revealed has led me to ask even more questions; so I’m putting on my Sherlock Hong-joo hat as I set up my own metaphorical murder board.

Spoilers may be rife, so Beanie beware.

Tags: ,

I have a question: if Ba Reum pre-brain surgery had no empathy, and was also the rabbit/dog/family killing terror child, why as a child did he want to not be a monster, and want to be like nice, caring child who doctored his arm? Was it just so he could do his monstering without people knowing? Because surely he should not have cared what people thought of him.

He may have understood he was "abnormal" and treated horribly because of it.

True - wanting to be normal so you don’ t get mistreated rather than because you don’t want to do bad things.

I wish they had chosen someone else playing the role of Bong-yi than Park Ju-Hyun. Most time, I found her role annoying and wonder if I may wouldn't feel that if she was portrayed by someone else.

Also, is it true that there are again behind-the-scene episodes (this time even both days)? That draggs the drama a little.. I mean, it's already longer than the usual 16 episodes with its 20 episodes. 16 would have been enough for me.

Nonethelesse, I hope they don't ruin the end. Let's hope!

it's not behind the scene. The special episodes that they will air this week is about Bareum remembering all the murders. So very different from the specials that you are thinking of.
If you watch the Gods Gift 14 days you'll know that the writer gives a shocking finale. I'm pretty sure Mouse ending will be shocking as well or Bareum might died at the end of the series

I haven't seen God's Gift: 14 Days but I have seen Black. I didn't like how that ended so I'm a little worried about how this writer will close out this story.

The story is intriguing but the drama is very confusing. I am honestly not sure if it's the writing that's the problem or the direction (am not too familiar with the works of the two directors listed for this drama, except for the romcoms for one of them). We already have an unreliable narrator in Ba Reum (acceptable because of his brain surgery) but coupled with the fakeouts, it is a little frustrating trying to figure out what is real and what isn't.

Still, I'm here because of Lee Seung Gi. I wish he'd do more romcoms (my preferred genre) but I love seeing him improve over the years in his acting craft, and this one is no exception.

Lee Seung Gi is becoming a remarkable actor. If he keeps going in this direction, he could possibly reach the level of Jang Hyuk or (dare I say it?) Song Kang Ho.

But his growth is excruciating to watch because it does demand taking on such characters as this one. I so want to love Ba Reum, but I guess I'll just have to give up on that . . .

I’m still along for the ride, but are the next 2 episodes both going to be about our murderous Ba Reum? Seems like overkill based on how many flashbacks we’ve already gotten. It will kill the pacing and make the wait till the plot resumes even more of a strain.

Also poor Bong Yi...just when her life seems to be taking a bit of an upturn. She’s like a black hole of suffering at this point.

The cat teeth was SUPER creepy, and I didn’t catch on that Ba Reum had made Bong Yi’s necklace with them as well. Oof.

I agree the special episodes are going to kill the pacing but Thursday's episode started late because it was still in post production. It appears they are running behind and need more time.

Poor Bong Yi indeed. As if she hasn't suffered enough, she's in love with the guy who killed her grandma.

I think having the special episodes is probably for the best in the long run - there is quite a lot of CGI in these (the mice) and so far it’s been pretty good, would be sad for that to fall down (just thinking of some
Really shoddy cgi in eg Korean Odyssey). The pacing already got wrecked with the first special when the elections were happening.

Wait...what happened to his parents? Did I miss a scene? and now the list of psychotic kids are getting very confusing. So, is the show now saying that the spooky Jae-hoon = Ba Reum (= Headhunter's son)? If so, who are the "parent" that Ba Reum keeps talking about and who is his "aunt" (because clearly that was not even his uncle...more gov't spies watching him?) And who is Yo Han and I am still confused about the relationship between Yo Han and Ba Reum. They seem to know who the other person is.....and please don't even get me started on the whole Moo-chi/Hong Ju confrontation that never happened! Really - he heard a kid cry and then NOTHING? They show us nothing? Did he confront her, or just realize that's Yo Han's baby and not say anything????? How are they going to wrap all of these loose ends in just one episode now?

It is up to ep.20.

This show was planned to be 20 episodes, so we still have a lot of ground to cover! Yes, Jae-hoon = Ba Reum but does NOT = Headhunter's son. The Headhunter's son was not a psychopath, it seems. Yo Han was the headhunters son, but he wasn't evil. Or least not very evil.

This twist should have happened earlier.

I always saw Lee Seung-gi as an adorable, baby faced actor (Doesn't he age?) made mainly for romance dramas King 2 hearts, My girlfriend is a Gumiho etc. but boy, I never thought any of his portrayal can literally bring shivers down my spine! Boy, this actor is AMAZING. In this drama, he has plunged deep deep into the personality of Jung Ba-reum and the multiple layers of expressions are no joke. This is an award level performance. Can't wait for the end!

I don't think i caught anything about his parents? I'm honestly still loving the show so far just because it keeps the tension high but I would not honestly have preferred this way to tell a story because it's getting very one-sided where we only know what the show wants us to know just for the convenience amd then has to fill is in in unnatural ways like bareum narrating stuff instead of kt happening as we see it. But i still love this show.... But what happened to the parents?

Yes..it is confusing about Ba-Reum's parents. If he now remembers everything, wouldn't he remember his "mom", the Headhunter's wife (he was atleast 12-13 years old when he might have killed his stepfather and stepsiblings). Did he get adopted by some other family after that- the mom that he keeps referring to (and also his aunt...who is she???). This show is good, but so frustrating...and so many things happening in each episode that it just gets so overwhelming and had to keep track of the details/clues they give. You have to make your own murder-board to keep track of all the dead people and their killer/s in each episode!

What I'm thinking is Ba Reum since he was in the womb has been in an experiment.If you can see Bareum's mother is a nurse and I think i saw a scene that Bareum's mom and head hunter is together. Did you catch what Yohan said to him that Bareum has Mutated gene?

So no more recaps, I guess.

The reveal should have happened sooner IMO, but this week's episodes did renew my interest in the show. We finally got some answers, but I have even more questions lol. I still don't see how BR had time to kill the priest and talk to Moochi when we saw him at both the subway station and television station, but oh well.

So it seems we have a probable government funded experiment going on here. I have some guesses on who is involved but we'll see.

I've been thinking about the whole BR in two places problem, and there must be another killer at play. It's the guy with the tattoo on his finger that we keep getting shown glimpses of.

The one with the OZ tattoo isn't Bareum you cant see any tattoo on his finger. I still think that PO have a big role in the drama. Remember when the president is in the police office and asked if he is the son of the politician that is running right now. The girl (i dont know if she;s a secretary or what) saw him and it flashback to episode 1 scene why he rejected Daniel Lee's bill.
There's something about PO's character he can be a killer as well

@CS, @bluedoe, @sumi, I think I'm even more confused than anyone. If Jae Hoon was the kid who supposedly killed his stepfather and sibling/s, his mother was the Headhunter's wife, wasn't she? But she was clearly Yo Han's mother, and she didn't have twins. What about the lady (from England?) that was in the gynecologist's office at the same time as the Headhunter's wife. I'd always thought Ba Reum was her son and kind because of his father; but if so, from whom did Ba Reum inherit the gene? Had that woman had an affair with the Headhunter? Or were she and/or the father carriers of the psychopath gene and Ba Reum inherited it but did not inherit the predator aspect of the mutation, so he was psychopath but not a predator (isn't this what the genius mutation is?)? But if that's the case, why didn't his genius analytical skills appear earlier in his life, before his surgery?

So who was young Ba Reum? Why was his name changed? Who is his "aunt"? Could he possibly have DID (dissociative identity disorder) so the Ba Reum personality did not even know about the killer personality?

And what about the killer's youthful helper--the one who tied the not-totally correctly tied knot, etc.? Wasn't that supposed to be Hung Joo (sp?)--the Sherlock Girl?

Am I just losing my ability to follow these from week to week so I can only "get it" if I binge?
HELP!!!

The killers youthful helper was Hong Ju, who was also the daughter of the detective trying to catch him that was kidnapped and thought dead (but it was actually a different girl).

Yes. I am sure there will be a reunion between Hong-joo and her father.

I think the young girl helper was Sherlock girl, who lured the young woman to the headhunter. There was a young boy who tied the knot and ended up being the retired policeman's son, who killed his sister and they swapped out her body to look like the girl the headhunter kidnapped. That young girl is actually Sherlock girl... See. It's not confusing at all!

I think the stepfather's wife (Jae-hoon's mom) may not have been the headhunter's wife. There is enough omission and camera-trickery there. We never see the stepfather and headhunter's wife with their faces in the same scene. We only saw the mother's back during the inside-the-home scenes. With multiple mothers and possible government conspiracy, Bareum's parental background/history has not been figured out yet.

I wonder if DID is still on the table. Bareum was strangely able to build close friendships with his 2 guy friends for years. Wasn't he friends with Dong Koo since high school (I think they rescued Yohan from the bullies in high school)?

Right now, it's like getting the puzzle pieces without the picture of what the thing is supposed to look like. I just let the pieces wash over me. Once things get sorted out and I can see more of the picture, I get to go back and piece it together.

If I recall correctly Ji Eun (Yo Han’s mother) reacted with shock and fear when she say Ba Reum at the hospital, but he appeared not to recognise her.

Is that because she knows who he is and has been keeping tabs on him? Did he actually recognise her and pretend not to? I can’t trust anything about him any more.

@beffels Yeah, I really hope they explain that part. If she is the birth mother, then what happened? The second of the two Predator episodes suggests that Ba-reum remembered who he was.

*Spoiler*

I am thinking of the following scene at the beginning of the second episode: a young Jae-hoon is seen keeping a journal, and at one point, he deliberately chooses the name Ba-reum. He says that he liked the sound of the name.

*End of spoiler*

Still, I am wondering if he ended up forgetting his birth mother. That is, if Ji-eun is the birth mother. Remember that scene when Yo-han holds what I believe is a DNA test result and he says to Ji-eun, "Your son is a killer"? Who is the son to whom he is referring? At this point, one would guess that the son mentioned is Ba-reum (formally Jae-hoon). So the question of whether or not Ba-reum recognized Ji-eun will have to be addressed. I don't think he did, so what happened in his later childhood (when he was about twelve or thirteen) to cause the memory loss? As you said, however, it is hard to trust anything surrounding his character.

Does anyone know if the Predator specials episodes will be on Viu/Viki, or just for regular tv?

What are these so called special episodes? I'd not heard about them till I read some Beanies mentioning them.

They’re doing some catch up work so to get some extra time, instead of normal episodes this week there will be two special episodes which are apparently showing events from the predator’s point of view.

I started watching on one of the questionable sites. I am not sure about Viki.

It doesn't look like Viki will be showing them. If they do show up there, please let us know! I'll be keeping my eye on them and will do the same.

From what you've seen so far, are they worth watching on a "questionable" site?

I’ve seen the first one (it’s on Viu, also on apparently Iquiyi if you have either of those) and it basically shows what Ba Reum was doing to set up the various murders (particularly the priest).

If it you had to choose, I would definitely recommend watching the second of the special episodes. You could probably skip the first one.

I let you know if I find them on viki.

Did anyone noticed the blood on his head in ep 15? It just appeared and suddenly gone when he saw the dead boy's mom distributing flyers and wanted to confess to her. I'm so puzzled. Is it a continuity error?

Thanks,@stroopwafel, for this and for giving those of us who are still trying to stick with MOUSE a place to discuss it.

When it's over, any chance you might give a reaction to the end and an overall brief recap of the main points?

A brief recap of the main points may be impossible with such a twisty-turny drama, but I for one need help figuring out who is who! Maybe the last few episodes will clarify . . .

I watched Mouse: The Predator part 1, and for a murdery psychopath Ba Reum puts a lot of faith into Moo Won not telling on him - if you’re about to murdered on live tv and you know who the murderer is, you’re going to tell everyone, right? It seems a pretty major flaw in an otherwise slick set up.

I think they show a side by side where the kid was strapped with explosives on one screen and mu chu begging on the other. So i guess it was threat not to reveal else kid goes boom?

They did! I just didn’t actually connect up the dots 😅 thanks

Good catch!

You and I think alike on many points. :)

I asked about the live tv murder broadcast on my fanwall. Moo-won could have shouted the name of the killer before Ba-reum would have been able to stop him. Why didn't he? I know we wouldn't have a show, but that was a little sloppy on the part of the writer.

Even with threat of blowing up kid I think it’s a bit weak, and would have preferred that he just didn’t show his face.... but I guess you’ve paid for Lee Seung gi, you need to show his face 😂😂

so many puzzles to be put togeather still even though we know that
Ba-Reum is the serial killer... dying to know what actual role is of the other doctor who is helping Ba-reum ... who is cleaning the crime scene.
Never in my life did a drama put me edge other than Mouse.

I just watched episode 16 and well, there’s definitely a conspiracy.

I feel like I shouldn’t, because he’s a murdery murderer, but I feel bad for Ba Reum. It’s not like he can even tell people he’s really the killer (not Yo Han) because no one will believe him after two bodies but no bodies, they’ll just think it’s his brain surgery making him crazy.

Can someone tell me, because I’m confused - does little raincoat boy with the mouse grow up to be Jae Hoon?

Yes. Raincoat boy is Jae-hoon.

Thanks, I thought he was but then I got all confused 😄

I had to go back and scan through the recaps. LOL. But who he is seems to be becoming clearer. I'm not so sure if I should believe anything Ba Reum thinks happened. The idea of a conspiracy will have to be convincingly explained to satisfy me too.

I’m almost at the point where I’m like the only way they could clean up that fast is if it’s the Matrix and they just deleted everything 😂

But actually I think there’s probably at least one inside man on the forensics team making sure nothing gets found - probably the one forensics guy who does all the talking because he’s the one who raised the idea of recent brain surgery making Ba Reum delusional.

I agree, I’m not sure I should be believing anything Ba Reum thinks happened either. Maybe it’s just been all in his head the whole time.

Episode 17 explained some things and raised more questions. So the nice classmate who treated Jae-hoon's hand was Yo-han and both boys were being watched by OZ. I can see why OZ might start out watching the boys for research purposes but killing innocent people for them and watching as Ba-reum killed innocent people? What is that supposed to accomplish? Daniel Lee is hiding from them now, but I would guess he once worked with them? It explains why Yo-han attempted to kill Ba-reum instead of going to the police as he knew about OZ from Daniel Lee and must have known they would protect Ba-reum.

I feel sad for both Yo-han and Ba-reum. They were lab rats even before they were born. I feel like Daniel Lee was wrong about Jae-hoon not caring about his family. If he had received help instead of being studied like a specimen maybe things would have turned out differently.

It make Yohan's death all the much sadder...to know that his last words and thoughts were about being a lab rat for his entire life. He knew he was being followed since he was a little kid, but I wonder when he first knew about OZ and the conspiracy.

Ba-reum is a murderous psychopath who abandoned the half-dead Bong-yi as a child, but I still feel sad for his younger self. While it seems like he wanted to be normal because he didn't like the disadvantages of being abnormal...I think a part of him really felt like he just wanted to be good.

Something happened the night YH and Daniel were supposed to meet. We saw YH dumping a body and then telling HJ he was scared. The body of an OZ guy, maybe? I want to know when and how YH found out about BR being the 7 sins killer and where he got those photos?

Loved this week's set of episodes. Really digging the government conspiracy angle.

I'm surprised at how much Ba-reum grieved over Chi-gook since pre-surgery, Chi-gook was prey to him and he didn't get to know him post-surgery. Then again: post-surgery, he blocked out his murdery memories and probably only remembered the happy times he had forced himself to act out.

Lee Seung-gi's heartwrenching portrayal of post-surgery Ba-reum's pain makes me want the headhunter to give all serial killers the "graft-a-conscience" special and make them face the victims' families.

The is one weird drama - makes me feel sympathy for a person who doesn't deserve any. Not only did he torture and kill so many people who don't deserve it, but there were people killing to protect him. And what was the point in killing Bareum's little brother?

I guess they killed his little brother because they can’t leave witnesses?

I feel bad for Ba Reum too, and have to keep reminding myself that he’s a violent murderer who does creepy things with cats teeth.