[Theme of the Month] Trend inspirations from our favorite dramas
I don’t know what curious pull it is that dramas have, but while I’m fairly resistant to trends and fads in real life, I often find myself powerless to fight fashion/food/object envy when I see something unique or interesting in a drama. It’s like my willpower caves and I’m suddenly hit with a craving for ramyun/deep longing for that lip color/a hitherto undiscovered need for that particular style of coat.
Who watched What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim and went out and bought threader earrings, pencil skirts, and flowy sheer blouses that look like they cost a month’s rent apiece? Who else never found pink eyeshadow appealing until watching Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-ju and then went on an eyeshadow rampage trying to find the exact color match? Whose main takeaway from chaebol-revenge-thriller Yong-pal was to get a fierce bob like Kim Tae-hee? And who saw Legend of the Blue Sea and was filled with a deep well of envy over Jeon Ji-hyun’s high-low mixing of Chanel couture and I’m-a-homeless-bag-lady bravado?
I know I’m not alone in this, so let’s talk it out for this month’s theme, and let our wallets commiserate together.
What are some trends, fashions, or tastes that you’ve pursued because of a drama’s influence? How did it turn out?
- Email your submissions to [email protected] If you have a registered Dramabeans account, include your handle so we can link to it.
- Include at least 1 image, though more is preferred.
- Suggested length: Between 500 and 1,000 words.
- Deadline: We will post these on a rolling basis, so we’re taking submissions now. We will cut off accepting submissions on September 26. If you miss this month, join us for a new theme next month!
- [Theme of the Month] Traveling the world with dramas
- [Theme of the Month] What dramas need a sequel?
- [Theme of the Month] Work, life, balance, and K-dramas
- [Theme of the Month] Dramas and food
- [Theme of the Month] Drama-induced shopping
- [Theme of the Month] Best friends forever
- [Theme of the Month] One True Pairings
- [Theme of the Month] In defense of…
Tags: Theme of the Month