[Theme of the Month] The horror
October always puts me in the mood for creepy, scary stories and so I found myself re-watching the zombie sageuk Kingdom. Even on rewatch, it was incredibly creepy and horrifying, but I found myself moved by an aspect of the zombie scenario I hadn’t paid close attention to when I first watched the show.
In Kingdom, a zombie affliction sweeps through Joseon, destroying lives. Having loved ones pass away is heartbreaking; having loved ones become zombies is terrifying. Having to cut down your zombified loved ones to survive? Next level horror.
I realized while watching Kingdom that it’s not just the usual zombies, goblins, and ghoulies that scare me though. A drama that wrapped recently gave form to one of my greatest fears: losing someone I love.
Despite not being a horror drama, Be Melodramatic managed to terrify me with its portrayal of grief. If I lost someone I loved, like Eun-jung did, how would I manage to heal and deal in the aftermath? Seeing Eun-jung process her loss was so real that it hurt my heart to watch.
Tell us what K-drama scenarios strike horror in your heart. Is it supernatural? Serial killers? The thought of losing someone?
- Email your submissions to [email protected] If you have a registered Dramabeans account, include your handle so we can link to it.
- Include at least 1 image, though more is preferred.
- Suggested length: Between 500 and 1,000 words.
- Deadline: We will post these on a rolling basis, so we’re taking submissions now. We will cut off accepting submissions on October 27. If you miss this month, join us for a new theme next month!
- [Theme of the Month] Hey, that’s me (again)
- [Theme of the Month] Hey, that’s me
- [Theme of the Month] Villains
- [Theme of the Month] K-dramas and community
- [Theme of the Month] Dramas and food
- [Theme of the Month] Short but sweet
- [Theme of the Month] Adaptations
- [Theme of the Month] Happily never after
- [Theme of the Month] Plot twists
- [Theme of the Month] Year in dramas
- [Theme of the Month] Scene stealers
- [Theme of the Month] Choose your own epilogue
Tags: Theme of the Month