Name That Drama is back! As always, if you’ve got a drama you just need to identify — maybe you saw it years ago and can’t remember much, or maybe you only caught part of it and never found out the rest — send us your requests so we can post new inquiries in future editions.
- Mel’s on the hunt for a period drama:
It’s a very old Korean drama, and because of the dull colours, I suspect that it was shot in the 1990s. The story is probably set between the 1930s to 1960s. There’s a single mom raising 6 or 8 children. Her oldest son, a teenager, works away from home in a rich family as a tutor. Her oldest daughter had a crush with the tenant. The youngest child is still a baby. The family is very poor and lives in a small village. The mom is a street hawker. The side characters, other than the family, are their neighbours, I remember, some of them being the village grocer. I watched the replay perhaps 5 years ago. I remember it’s heartwarming show about how this family overcome their poverty and obstacles together.
I know it’s difficult because it’s not a recent drama. Any help is appreciated!
- nimmy’s drama sounds fairly recent, which hopefully narrows down the window:
I suddenly remembered about watching this one drama way back around 2007-2010 (I can’t remember the exact year). It was airing on one of the English Korean channels. I can’t remember if it was KBS, MBC America, or Arirang.
Anyways, it opened up with the disclaimer that it was intended for 15+. Then it showed a girl squatting on a bathroom floor with her shoes on and then blood was running down her leg. I assume she was giving birth. The girl was in distress and very angry. I think she was cursing the father of the child. Then it cuts back, I assume, to the past before she became pregnant. She meets this one man who says he’s a writer and they have a conversation during a car ride together.
I know the details are very vague because it was so long ago and I never finished that episode, but any help would be appreciated!
- Natalia asks:
It was a really sweet drama (I think it was a drama) about a father-son relationship. What I could get is that:
- The father was divorced and tried to get as much time as he could with his small kid but his work was in the way.
- There was this really sweet scene in the beginning of the episode with the kid saying goodbye to his best friend.
- Then the kid spent the day at his father’s work place, but the kid always ended up in some kind of trouble, and while he was at his father’s desk or being taken care of by one of his father’s co-workers, the father was trying to give a good presentation for his bosses. In the end the presentation was a success, but the kid lost himself inside the building and couldn’t reach the elevator panel to use it, but the father found him.
- In the end of the day the father met the mother who was there to pick her son up and the father was troubled if he should go back to work or go to where his son was leaving in a bus with his mother or be there to say goodbye to his son. He chose to say goodbye to him and there was this really beautiful scene of father and son saying goodbye.
- sasha isn’t entirely sure this is Korean, but let’s give it a shot:
Hi, there was a short part of a drama I watched in a hotel when I was on vacation a couple of years ago. I wasn’t into dramas back then so I couldn’t differentiate what language it was in (either map or korean?).
The episode I watched was about a girl who went on a vacation and because most of the people in her tour group were with their lovers, she lied that her boyfriend was unable to make it (she’s single) to save herself from the embarrassment of going on vacation alone. One guy (the lead guy), whom she has met before, was coincidentally also in the tour group and embarrassed her in front of everyone by saying that she is single, just like him.
The episode was really hilarious but I couldn’t find out the name of the drama so YAY for Name That Drama!! Sorry that this is so vague and is only an episode, but I really wanna know the name of this drama!
- And beet’s drama does sound Soulmate-esque (which certainly used that motif), though I don’t recall exactly where in the series it occurred. Anybody else know?
Recently I was speaking to my friend about Plato’s Symposium and the idea that people used to be one body with 4 arms and 4 legs and were then split by Zeus into that we are now, and we wander around the earth looking for our other half.
I remember seeing this in a Korean drama/movie where the main female protagonist is walking out of a store. She is really sad and happens to look into the display window of the store and there is a television playing an animation of this idea.
Do you have any idea what this drama/movie is? I just can’t think of it! I thought it it might be Soulmate or Alone in Love but I haven’t been able to find the scene~ any tips welcome 🙂
- Name That Drama: Street fighting and war buddies
- Name That Drama: The vague edition
- Name That Drama: So many pregnancies
- Name That Drama: Ghosts and graves
- Name That Drama: Swans, birthmarks, radio shows
- Name That Drama: Burnt rice, models, and secret laboratories
- Name That Drama: Subway pranks, makgulli, and high heels
- Name That Drama: Choco pies, buddy cops, and bad attitudes