Do You Like Brahms: Episodes 5-6 Open Thread

With summer break nearing a close, change is in the air for all of our characters. Whether it’s the end of an internship, the end of a long-term relationship, or major (and minor) confessions and realizations — there’s no lack of conflicted developments this week.

EPISODES 5-6 WEECAP

So much happened this week! And yet… it’s all so understated. I continue to really enjoy how this drama can balance being melancholy and dramatic while also being subtle and realistic. Why is this? Because all the emotions we encounter with our characters are so pure — meaning, at their core, they are things we can all relate to. Hope. Friendship. Connection. Alienation. Loneliness. The list goes on!

This week we begin where we left off: at Joon-young’s talk concert, with Jung-kyung suddenly turning up, and causing him to change the piece he planned to play. Joon-young is determined to not encourage Jung-kyung, choosing Chopin over their meaningful Schumann piece — but it doesn’t do much to hold her back. After the concert, she confesses that she loves him, and says she’ll break up with Hyun-ho.

Jung-kyung really has a fire under her this week, and is responsible for much of our plot development. I’m not sure if it’s because she’s been holding herself back for so long, or because the pressures from her family and the foundation are finally getting to her, but she’s no longer sitting in the wings.

I’m trying to understand her, but also struggling to sympathize. While it’s nice that she’s decided not to be willfully miserable anymore, and to spare Hyun-ho from the world she lives in, she’s also beyond cruel to him. This poor guy endures not one but two extremely painful break-up scenes (Young-in’s horrified observer’s face was my exact horrified observer’s face, seeing Jung-kyung’s cruelty in action).

I don’t think I gave Hyun-ho enough credit earlier in the drama — I’m now seeing he’s just as nuanced a character as the rest, he just had a layer of showmanship to him, pretending to ignore what he knew was happening around him. Kim Sung-chul has found a new fan in me — his performance during the pocha and recital hall scenes quite blew me away.

The break-up of Jung-kyung and Hyun-ho impacts all of our other characters, but of course it’s not as simple as the obstacle between Joon-young and Jung-kyung being cleared. Nothing is that simple here — and that’s what makes it so good. Well, Jung-kyung might think it’s that simple, as she openly approaches Joon-young, and also (importantly!) senses that Song-ah is a threat. I never expected green pastures between these two very different women, but I think we have a lot more angst ahead of us as the story advances.

Dear little Song-ah has a lot to face this week too, but she continues to be the gentle and soft-spoken heroine that she is. There were so many fantastic moments for her this week, but one of my favorites was when she lent her shoes to the bratty violin prodigy. Song-ah wearing the slippers, staring down at her feet, and feeling shabby because she hasn’t painted her toes — what an authentic scene that was. In fact, this drama does a great job overall at capturing these moments in life that can make you feel shabby, useless, or even tangential. Much to our collective heartbreak, these emotions also start to extend to Song-ah’s relationship with Joon-young.

Joon-young’s been in the literal thick of it this week, so I can’t exactly blame him for drawing away from Song-ah a bit (even though I hate it). Between all the reveals around his family’s finances, the support from the foundation, the harshness of the director (like grandmother like granddaughter?), and Jung-kyung coming on to him — the boy is in a bit of a whirlpool.

Still, that doesn’t mean we are without some wonderful, swoony moments — like when Joon-young was at the recital and noticed Song-ah backstage, or when he delivered his belated autograph to her and wrote it as, “to violinist Song-ah.” (Extra points for later learning how long he practiced what he was going to write before he actually did it in marker, sigh!) And of course, the winning moment of the week: that lovely pinky promise at the palace wall.

I don’t think there’s anyone that can blame Song-ah for falling for Joon-young, and her hesitations and confusion around his behavior were as adorable as they were authentic. I also found her quite brave. She knows full well that Joon-young has a lot of unresolved feelings for Jung-kyung, and she also knows that there’s a chance they will now get together, but still she’s honest with him about her own feelings. Her soft-spoken confession at the end of our episodes this week was enough to crack my heart in two.

Before we wrap up, a word on themes, because this drama works thematically within each episode (with the clever musical phrase to guide it), and also with some important overarching themes as well. This week, we looked a lot at this developing dichotomy of love versus talent. It’s explored with many of our musicians, and each seems to have one or the other. They might have loved their art early on, but it quickly became monetized or even worse, became a kind of burden for them — and we see this in the careers of Jung-kyung, Joon-young, and Dong-yoon.

To contrast the natural talent, though, there’s the pure and genuine love that Song-ah has for her music. People might deride her lack of talent again and again, but the joy that she gets from playing is more powerful than the “You’re not good enough” sentiment that seems to run strong through this drama. Song-ah, in my opinion, is more than good enough — not just as a musician, but as a delightful person, and I’m hoping our drama will also be about her finding the confidence that she has every right to. You might be a bit heart-broken right now, but keep your sweetness and joy, Song-ah! We’re all rooting for you.

Tags: , , , ,

if ever in Kdramaland history any drama will be known as to personify Introverts in love. it would be THIS.
Such a perfect portray of how introverts connect with (slowly, subtly but deeply)...
ahhh i love both Joon Young and Song Ah soooooooooooo damn that i can watch this show just for their smiles and those tiny moments of figuring out their feelings for each other.

Their relation is the sweetest, and I love how they're both discovering their feelings for the other. So cute.
And those wide smiles!! OMG!!

I find the romance enchanting as well, but laying out the dichotomy between their respective musical dilemmas so well done! I would have intuitively thought that it was less painful for someone with great talent but losing passion for his art, than someone with less ability but undiminished enthusiasm, but the show is doing its best to make me undecided.

I dearly hope this drama does not cop out and give Song-Ah an untapped reservoir of talent which raises her level to that of concert soloists. I look forward to a scene where she and Joon-Young play together for themselves, although I am sure I will be less than discreetly dabbing my eyes.

I really can’t express how much I love that they are both introverts.
THESE ARE MY PEOPLE.

Wait, introverts in love?!! I was wondering what all the hoopla was about this drama on Dramabeans but now you got me curious. I’ve been so bored/disconnected from dramas lately so this is much needed.

if you are an introvert then this Drama is a MUST watch. there is no way an introvert will not have butterflies in stomach or will be teleported to la la land watching this drama uber cute and real portrayal of introverts in love.
Do watch,

Now i know why im enjoying this drama. Awkward but not awkward, and so far ive been watching, they werent secondhand embarastment yet even there was some promising situations. They make me giddy yet calm. I love it.

I really didn't expect Song-ah to confess, but after I thought about it, I realized that it once again shows how brave and strong she is. She's quiet, she's obviously hurting, but that does not stop her from laying her heart bare to the person who is (unconsciously) hurting her. That is true inner strength.

Sadly, I expect it will take Joon-young a long time to catch up to her honesty and bravery. He is so used to repressing his feelings and desires, he has almost become like an indentured servant playing for money for his family. Yes, Grannie was harsh, but she also is trying to poke him into being more than a pushover for other people's agendas.

My villain of the week is the slimy violin professor who kissed up to Song-ah because she thinks she has connections, even if she has no talent. I'm sure Song-ah is going to find this out eventually, and it's going to hurt.

Her confession was a surprise and then I realized a bunch time had passed. So it made sense especially when he ran up to her. Usually, I don't condone confessions to people you believe taken, but it makes sense in this context for the reasons you stated.

she was intending to walk away but he was insistent and caught up to her 🤔 maybe if he just let her leave nothing would’ve happened but I feel like SA’s confession came out bc he actually stopped her/came onto her first and with all that’s happened w JK (the misunderstanding that they were together at his flat) she must’ve felt super victimised. :(

Yes, her original plan was to walk away and to repress her feeling inside.. but in narration she said, "it failed", LoL.

I don’t think it’s because of connections. What connection does Song ah has? It’s more like she’s trying to make a point to that other professor that connection isn’t everything hence why she chose someone at the bottom of the class.
If song ah does well, she gets the credit and all that I might be wrong but her actions either way are still wrong!

1. She talked about how Song-ah would never be a decent violin player because she had no talent.
2. The center director mentioned that Song-ah had worked for them and they really like her.
3.The other professor told her that to succeed she needed connections.
4. The thought clicked in her brain while she was sitting in her car. Let's try it - let's try profiting by this connection to the center.
5. She invited Song-ah to be a graduate student. Song-ah was the only student she hadn't advised to apply to graduate school and now she's pretending that's because she wants to take her under her wing. But she's absolutely lying, because she expressed her total disdain for Song-ah in the beginning.
6. Song-ah mentions it at the dinner, and the director is surprised, because she knows the professor's opinion.

That's what I saw happen, and the order that it happened.

I don't think Prof Lee is taking Song-ah under her wing for the sake of connections either. In the ladies' loo, Prof Song sang the praises of her own amazing assistant who'd managed to get a bunch of her former students to volunteer for her chamber group. Then she kind of taunted Prof Lee that her own assistant had basically dumped Prof Lee to do their doctorate abroad. After being reminded that Song-ah is efficient and has good taste, Prof Lee might have decided to manipulate Song-ah into serving as her personal minion. Song-ah, being grateful for Prof Lee's attention and patronage, will probably find it difficult to turn her down.

I didn't think of the minion angle, but I agree it makes better sense than trying to profit from Song-ah's connections.

The main thing for me is that Prof. Lee is so patently fake toward Song-ah, and because Song-ah herself is a very honest person, she doesn't see it yet. But when she does, she may be crushed that she wasn't give an opportunity so that she could learn violin, but so she could be used.

Agree that Prof Lee is behaving despicably at the moment. What is really annoying is that if she'd really had SA's best interests at heart, she could honestly asked SA to be her assistant, and both SA and herself would have benefitted from it.

I don't think it's for her connections or her violin skills. She's looking for an administrative assistant! Her is a girl she's been told has good taste, people like her and she's gifted at planning and executing events, managing talent, etc. She wants her to put in all the work of organizing her life, commitments and helping her make a mark. Plus, she's not talented enough to run off and study under another teacher or get into a different program in another country.

Which is why I love the narratives and monologues of our character. I think it was in Ep1 or 2, when SA mentioned on her reflection - that despite being hurt, she will continue on loving 💛
SA has the strongest character because her bravery and honesty, really has brought her to where she is (choosing violin as another major just because the girl LOVE it), though she is not exactly THAT honest in terms of relationship. And I guess, SA knew that she has TO BE HONEST THIS TIME (Iiterally squeeeeeealed to her confession) around or else. Well. She had to endure that painful part of a love triangle. And yes. JK is well. She is much of a brat eh? Hehe. Love to see how it will go next with you beanies! 💙

You pointed out a great detail! I knew that particular internal monologue would reflect how Song Ah was going to feel down the road, and I think it cleverly applies not only to her feelings for Joon Young, but also towards her craft. Joon Young's warm consolation that night sparked something inside of this sweet girl's heart, so much so that she knew she now had the strength to push on no matter how many times people tell her no and that she'll continue loving the violin despite all the hurt she's received. Same thing goes for her feelings for Joon Young - we see her demonstrate this in the ending scene of episode 6 where she couldn't help but lay her crushed heart bare in front of him.

I actually think that episode 6 left out quite a bit of the story because it wanted to end off with that shocking confession, so I'm looking forward to seeing Joon Young's perspective (how he actually feels about Song Ah) and what transpired between the end of internship and start of the new semester in the beginning of episode 7! I think the missing pieces would explain Joon Young's "silence" and Song Ah's decision to confess as well.

Agree! These 2 leads has so much more soul than what we see physically! The trend of kdramas lately had this strong and loud characters and I love how we beanies, continually, episode per episode, we delve into DYLBs characters. I think we had to see some 2nd leads’ angst next week. Whew, so excited! Waiting for next week with y’all!! 🤗😍

The slimy professor is awful but I would like to note one other remarkably cowardly villian in this drama who is seldom mentioned because he simply is not seen: Joon-young's awful father. He preys upon his son yet is not even willing to appear in front of him or talk directly to him- he sends Joon-youngs mother instead. When I think about him I really wish that he would meet up with the Truck of Doom. As the father of a talented (not musically- that is the rest of my family) grown son I am completely appalled at this shadowy monster of a father.

LOL Counselor. Are you really proposing vehicular homicide as a solution? Everyone knows this guy (Joon-young's dad) is bad news. Dad's demise
might now might do JY in. We have to get mom taken care of first.
(O/T I was thinking dad is so bad that the character might make a great cameo. I recommend (cast against type) Han Suk-kyu.)

Well, it is a common trope in K-dramas. And, unfortunately, it actually would be a solution un less the father can otherwise have some sort of miraculous life-changing experience.

Ah, I was waiting for this.

I liked the episodes, this drama is the only one that I wait week after week to watch, but there is 2 things bothering me so much: the way the characters meet is not natural. It doesnt have a natural flow. It feels forced. Episode 5 was the worst in this matter. I dont know if it is the editing or if it is the lack of development about the other characters (because there are other characters and stories to be told), but the flow was so weird.

Other thing is: Park Sung-Jae (I had to google his name). He is the guy that works at the foundation and knows everything and gossips about everything and everyone and etc. I understand that we need to know about the past of our characters and what happened to them in the past that make them today who they are, but do we really need this guy to explain every episode what happened? That is just bad writing. I think that this was the 3rd episode that he had to tell us about the past of someone or why someone was in that position. I swear he had more lines in episode 5 than the main actors.

Overall, the break up scene was so sad. I feel bad for Hyun-ho, I could feel his pain, sometimes it's hard to let it go.

I roll my eyes like Jung Da-woon every time Chief Park Sung-jae plays Exposition Fairy. I appreciate his accurate analysis of Joon-young's feelings, but why is he the only person who knows everything about everyone?

He's definitely the exposition fairy, but at the same time he's not completely unrealistic - it seems like every office I've ever worked in has that one person who is permanently dialed in to the hot gossip line and knows everything about everybody - and usually they've got an opinion about everyone, too -

LOL!. This is so true.

I find him very believable. I've worked with this guy in my office, too. :) Nose in everyone's business.

this is true for every office, there's always someone who knows what's going on. the conversations is a shorthand way for us viewers to understand the underlying causes of missing musicians. it's also foreshadowing of the trio not performing due to the break-up.

kidding aside, i didn't know i'd miss office gossip until the wfh situation:(

There is a difference between gossip and giving information related to the episode to keep the story going. We see that in movies too, this is not just related to this particular drama. I think the most famous one is in Suicide Squad, where they have a guy just to explain the plot whenever they need to. In episode 5, 4 and 3 he gave away pretty much every detail/gossip we needed to know to keep the story going. If we take out his explanation (for ex: why the teachers hate each other), we would we a bit lost, without any connection to the actual plot. And that is what I have a problem with.

I had a really hard time with the flow up until episode 4, the deeper delving into the relationships made this less visible to me in this week's episodes. But I still think the screenwriting is being quite uncreative, it's all the same scenes being reprised. Walking by the palace, uncomfortable group meals, chance meetings.

I've missed seeing montages of Song-ah practicing her violin and glimpses of performances to give the daily life some more, I don't know, foundation?

Yes, I agree. And I was even more disappointed, because both Park Eun-Bin and Kim Min-Jae posted pics of them with the instruments. PEB even posted a video of her practicing multi times with the violin.

Aaaaah, so much happened!

I like how Song-Ah is strong. She's shy but she can follow her feelings. She decided to play violin, she didn't want Joon-Young to hide her the truth about her friends, she told him she didn't want him to use her like this when he wanted to see her because he felt sad and she confessed her feelings to him. I hope the teacher won't hurt her too much. It looks that only Cha Young-In understands and supports her.

For that, I guess the both female characters are the same. When the boys prefere to follow what people expect from them and to act like everything is ok and overall don't want to change things. I understand Jung-kyung's frustration, sadly it makes her to be rude.

I'm happy that the school resumed, it will change the dynamics.

I like how the drama takes place in the center of Seoul like Deoksugung Palace or Cheonggyecheon stream.

With Joon Young, Song Ah is so courageous and opposite from her normal introvert self. She never confessed her love for Dong-Yoon so many years and usually not share her opinions or thoughts. Despite the pain, she still confessed to Joon Young that she likes him. It's understandable that Joon Young can't do the same since he is going through so much turmoil at the moment. I hope he will catch up to Song Ah soon and break out of his shell.

She never confessed her love for Dong-yoon because Min-sung likes him, whereas Song-ah's not friends with Jung-kyung, so there's nothing holding her back.

That is true :)

Kim Sung-chul's performance in the pocha was amazing. He nailed that feeling of wanting to hold onto someone despite knowing they'll eventually leave. Park Eun-bin also, that last scene in ep6? Wow! Honestly, everyone is doing great, even the side characters, annoying as they may be.

The little promise our OTP did in the Deoksugung Wall was awkwardly cute. Why can't we have more of this scenes?? Though I was shouting on my screen for Song-ah not to confess, I understood why she did it. She needed an answer from all his actions, I also think Jung-kyung's provocation gave Song-ah a push.

Love Manager Cha and I hope that she'll help Song-ah with that Teacher because she's up to no good and also the other guy teacher. What's up with teachers taking advantage of everyone?

My heart broke for Hyun-ho in that scene. His face spasmed with pain at one point, he really went all the way there. His performance was amazing.

Yes, you can see the pain in his eyes. Holding on even though he knows he looks like a loser for doing so while trying to brush off that this is nothing. Great performance!

Kim Sung Cheol is giving a terrific performance as Hyun-ho. The last 2 dramas (PRISON PLAYBOOK, ARTHDAL CHRONICALS) and film (BATTLE OF JANGSARI) I have seen him in he played a similar character. The guy that only looks out for No. 1 but eventually comes around to do what is right.
In BRAHMS he has a much more nuanced character.

I loved him in Prison Playbook and .to Jenny and who would have thought that it was his first time on the small screen?? Granted he's been in stage play for most of his career. Hyun-ho can be bland depending on the actor, and like you said, he gives it more nuanced.

I've only seen episode 5, so I'm not reading, just commenting and will come back when I've seen episode 6.
I'm not going to talk about our super cute leads and how much they need each other, but about the other angles of the hexagon.
I was wondering from the beginning how HyunHo was so blind not to see his girlfriend was miserable, and in episode 5 scene in the pop out bar, I learned why: he didn't want to see. I utterly dislike Jung Kyung, but I was on her side during that scene: she's so depressed and hurt and in pain, she needs to learn to love herself before loving others, and she needed to break up with him. And what was HyunHo doing? Not listening, telling her how to feel and what to do, patronizing her, and I hated him. I really liked when she said "let's stop doing this". She is totally annoying but I think she's just taken the first step to healing.
The same goes with MinSung and DongYoon. Yes, he's a total jerk, but he's told her lots of times he doesn't like her, that whatever happened between them was a mistake and that he doesn't want to be with her. And there she goes again and tells him she likes him, as if by repeating it, things will change. So I took DongYoon side as well. He's a total jerk and his timing is awful with Song Ah, but he's been honest with MinSung. How many times does she need to be rejected?
I keep saying this, because I totally concur with it, what GunWoo said in Dinner mate: unrequited love is not love, is violence.

This is a good point. I agree with you on Jung Kyung except at the auditions, that was just wrong. Min sung and Dong Yoon are a little different in that his mouth says no, but his actions say yes. Your overall point is both valid and I would say accurate though.

At the audition, I thought Song-ah was wrong to listen to their private conversation. As soon as she heard Jung-kyung tell Young-in they broke up, Song-ah should've walked back down the stairs. The trio is close to Young-in noona/unni, so that was a family matter not meant for outsiders.

I’ve just watched episode 6 and I have to say I hate the way HyunHo keeps denying what’s happening: first during the audition and then with JY. I know he’s in pain but so is JK. How many times must he hear that they’ve broken up? At the end I hated him more because he made JK be so mean. You just can’t be with someone because you want. And he’s been acting like JK was his property. I’m sorry but I really hate this kind of behaviour.

Hyun Ho is hurting, he is allowed to at the very least a little bit time dealing with the fact that his girlfriend that he loved left him for his best friend. He didn't need to be humiliated in front of company employees like that. Jung kyung did that knowing full well she can get away with it. Jung Kyung dragged him into this, people stay in relationships for various reasons. To me, Hyun Ho staying for love for Jung kyung is more sane than Jung Kyung staying for temporary comfort to only throw it all away when she saw Joon Young actually gripping out of her grasp. I don't for a second believe Jung kyung broke up with Hyun Ho because she is prioritizing herself, she was wishy washy, she was sort of playing a game of push pull where she was sure Joon Young will hover around her no matter what she did. It changed the moment they got back and Joon Young's long time crush and feelings actually started to turn into annoyance and irrelevance. She dumped him Hyun Ho right when she sensed that.

When I think of Jung Kyung I can't help thinking of a kid's fleeting interest in a new toy. Of course, she's known JY for years but I just don't sense sincerity in her interest for him. I feel like Hyun Ho had a point when he told her she wasn't going to find what she was looking for in JY. I agree. But she won't find it in HH either. She needs to get herself together and deal with whatever baggage she's carrying around. Girl, it's okay to smile.

Your comment "Girl, it's okay to smile" made me laugh out loud. I am not sure if it's the Jung Kyung character or the actress who plays her (or both) are dislikable. Jung Kyung always has this RBF (resting bitch face) that I just want to skip every scenes with her. So far, Jung Kyung's character is pathetic: lost her mother, distant relationship with her dad, controlling and high expectation from her grandmother, can't have her love Yoon Jung and not sure whether she is a talented bass player). Though, I can't sympathize for the character because 1) her relationship with Hyun Ho - she dated Hyun Ho but her heart is with Yoon Jung all these years (emotionally cheating), even kissed Yoon Jung while still in the relationship with Hyun Ho (physically cheating), and break up with the poor guy twice (first time was so abruptly, second time was so unnecessarily mean) 2) Song Ah - how dare her to tell Song Ah to stay out using the excuse of having a 15 year relationship with Yoon Jung (girl, you got 15 years of opportunity already); if you're a true warrior - take it up as a challenge and fight for Yoon Jung fair and square 3) Yoon Jung - never straight forward with him as you showed up to his recital in NY and kissed him unexpectedly and never explained anything, date his friend while expecting him to love you, fish for his reaction by asking him what if she marries Hyun Ho.
The only time I feel bad for her is when she cried after the broken rosin remind how Hyun Ho was so nice to her.
I hope there will be more development to her character and find her true passion in teaching (instead of being the director of the Foundation as her grandma wanted her to be). Then she will be the only "good" professor in the show.

unfortunately, it might be the actress fault that she's not at par with the character's feelings. i feel that most of the characters are pulling their weight with scenes that's given to them. she has a meaty role but her inability to express emotions are off putting. Min-sung who has less lines & scenes are way better.

props to all the actors & actresses, lead & supporting, they are all doing a fantastic job in this melancholy drama.

Actually if you recall, in all the videos and memories, she has been smiling. It wasn't until what happened in NY she has changed and being unhappy. Also the reason why she is being so mean to HH at the judging, she is forcing HH to wake up in a way. She is being harsh so it's actually being "gentle" to someone you know you don't love anymore. She is almost saying "don't be that fool to be with someone who's going to make your life miserable". If she had cared that HH is poor, she wouldn't be dating him for so long.

@peachietime Thanks for pointing out that Jung Kyung was happy in the flashbacks. It is good that Jung Kyung finally break up with HH but the ways she did it was more unnecessarily harsh. When she first broke up with him, she just said let's break up and left without providing any explanation especially after all these years. And the second break up was all those cruel words in front of other people. I would respect her more if she has been more straightfoward before kissing Yoon Jung or honest afterward. But we wouldn't have a drama if she does everything correctly.

That’s my point too.

I think people are hard on JK. She wants to straight her life up: choosing her future job, being with the person she really loves. I understand her frustration with HH and JY, they both know things are not good but they prefer ignoring the issue. She could be nicer with people but she knows that breakin-up with HH will hurt him, there is no easy way. She didn't want to humiliate him in the first place but she doesn't want to lie anymore . The fact he's reacting like it was a fight and not a break-up made her more spiteful.

HH's passivity is frustrating to see.

Thank you for highlighting these points. I wonder when did it go wrong for Hyun Ho and Jung Kyung's relationship, but also how long has Jung Kyung been miserable for because clearly the girl was happy at one point after her mother's passing, so...what triggered this misery again?

And she was happy with HyunHo.
I have the feeling it’s her returning to SK that made her feel like that, because everyone seems to be directing her life: her grandmother wants her to join the Foundation when she clearly wants to become a teacher, her dad doesn’t pay her any attention, her boyfriend patronises her and is drawing their future together the way he wants it. Maybe she just turns to JY because he’s the one who’s always been there, listening, looking, not judging, giving without asking anything, not like the rest of the people in her life.

There were so many lovely moments in this week's episodes. A few of my favorites:
1. Joon Young's looking for Song Ah each time the stage door opened at the violin performance.
2. Joon Young calling Song Ah from the romantic walkway along the wall. And, his awkward scoffing "who would I walk with here?"
3. Dong-yoon telling Jung Kyung that Hyun Ho is sweet but not naive.
4. I loved the goodbye dinner with the foundation events staff. Song Ah's co-workers encouraging her to talk about her "friend." Especially, her male co-worker. He's been spot on in his observations about how relationships work in a couple of episodes. And, his own obliviousness about his co-worker's crush. :)
5. I loved Hae-na's crisp clear declaration that someone that really likes you doesn't confuse you. I've found that to be true in real life. If he/she feels it strongly enough, they will make it clear. *side-eye at Jung-kyung and Dong-yoon* I love that Song Ah then takes that and runs. She likes him enough to make it not confusing. I love her. Next Monday is officially 1,000 years away.

agree!

Hello @samsooki, long time no see! I will add my favorite moment, which was Song Ah's reply to the disappointed Stage Mom: yes, your daughter is talented but the way you are handling it will drive the joy out of her art. It was so wise and thoughtful, and also showed her bravery in speaking out when she feels it's needed. Which is also why at the end of episode 6 I was like "aaaarrrrgh! Joon Young, you've got to grab on to this girl!"

I rewatched the episodes and Dong-yoon told the stage mom when she took her daughter's violin to get fixed to look for his friend who works at the Foundation. I wonder if that mom realized that was who he was talking about. That was a great scene. I think it shows that she understands Joon Young - and knows that when he's complaining about his talent that circumstances he couldn't control drove away his love.

I think all our characters could need a bit of confidence no matter what personally traits they have. Song-ah wouldn't have make it this far without some kind of confidence. It seems that no one in her  own family is supporting her but she has enough confidence to do as her heart desires.
I think being a sweet and shy introvert is often mistaken for lack of confidence. I love her the way she is.  She is sweet, loyal and a good listener.
To me, those on the spotlight are the ones who are faking it. High expectations and family obligations can or is making them miserable. They could use a bit of confidence to be their real self.

I live for the one on one conversations between Song-ah and Joon-young. I'm crushing on both of them ❤️.

Yes! I completely agree with you. I perceive Song Ah as very brave. You can be an introvert and brave at the same time. I was convinced of it from the very beginning in episode one when she spoke up and asked to be allowed to play with the orchestra because she had practiced a lot. I was actually taken aback when she stood up for herself. I know I probably wouldn't have had the guts to do it lol. But she did and I think her bravery sparks up when she feels strongly about something. Like in this scenario it was her love for playing the violin and getting the opportunity to play somewhere she had never had the chance to. Or when she told Joon Young to value his talent. She's very opinionated, brave, and yet incredibly sweet and humble at the same time. I love both JY and SA but right now I absolutely adore Song Ah.

Agree with you and I am afraid he will hurt her, (even more and even without wanting to).
She is so sweet, and yes, he is sweet and nice as well, I like him... But still, he is a man. And man are....

"You can be an introvert and brave at the same time." YES. I said that exact thing to myself one time. People think introverts = shy, timid, doormat, but that's so not true. I think true strength lies in quiet strength. In the power to speak up for oneself and be kind but vulnerable, knowing full well rejection might be a likely outcome, but doing so anyway.

As an introvert myself, I can say...when fighting for what we believe is right or something that we're passionate about, introverts are far from shy. We just don't like to waste our energy on pointless things.

Although I find Director Nah harsh towards her granddaughter, I think there's something more when Joonyoung expressed the burden of 'that' piano's keys and she replied that Joonyoung doesn't understand (?) it.

But seriously all the mentors (professors, conductors, parents, etc.) are so horrible? Other than Director Cha, will there be a decent one?

I was surprised how Director Nah knew Jung-Kyung's feelings for Joon-Young.

Oh, she did? Must have been when I ff JK's scenes.

How could she when it seems JK's only knew in that NY perf?

I don't think she knew because of the NY performance but in a general way.

In episode 5, when she gave her opinion about Hyun-Ho, JK said that Director Nah didn't have to be so harsh and Director Nah answered she wasn't speaking about Hyun-Ho. So I guessed she was speaking about JY.

I thought director na was talking about jungkyung since she’s the other person in the relationship that has broken up (?)

@bcsitsmyfirstdrama I can't directly reply to you otl. But I also think she was talking about Joon Young. She didn't seem to be describing Jung Kyung; she's independent and it looks like she does whatever pleases her. Definitely think it was regarding JY. I think she noticed already that JK has a thing for him now. It was also interesting when Director Nah asked JY if he liked anyone. I don't think it was small talk, I think she was trying to pry into what JY felt or thought of Jung Kyung.

@bcsitsmyfirstdrama Director Nah compared HH to a puppy, I don't think it corresponds to JK's character.

For me, Director Nah was already warning JK that JY is not for her neither.

I thought she was alluding to her son-in-law/Jungkyung's father. But reading all these comments pointing to Joonyoung are pretty convincing.

@ysbee It's nice to have a place to discuss about this drama. A simple sentence showes how we can read differently the story.

Director Na knew because Jung-kyung's feelings are obvious. Now that we know Hyun-ho has been pretending not to know all along, I believe everybody knew including Joon-young before her "I love you" confession.

Director Nah is the hidden "villain" in this drama. She said Jung Kyung is like her when Jung Kyung said she is like her mom and replied "where do you think she got it from". She is smart and observant so she knew both Joon Young and Jung Kyung have feelings for each other but she worked her "magic" to provide the financial needs to Joon Young that made him indebted to her/family and with the feelings of indebted and burdened, he can never pursue his love for Jung Kyung and pushing her away. Despite Jung Kyung's true love is Joon Young, she ended up dating Hyun Ho since Joon Young never accepted her.

Ohhhh, that is an interesting theory.
And yes, getting to know grandmother Na, I would say, she doesn't like any of these two boys for her granddaughter, because they are poor.
But on the other hand, even without Song-ah now in Joon young's life, I wouldn't like him with Jung Kyung because they don't match well.
I don't hate her yet, by the way, because I think she is dysfunctional due to her family background and never overcoming the death of her mother, but I don't like her either. I feel she is selfish and not really passionate about music, therefore, she is not a real artist to me.

@javinne - Agree with all of your points.
Rich people tend to "stay within their circle".
Without Song Ah - Joon Young and Jung Kyung will never end up together - there are just too much past baggage.

I think it's more to do on how messed up Joon Young's family is rather than not being rich (within the circle). It seemed Joon Young's already in that circle.

That's what I was thinking too!
She can see what's going on among the trio.
She devoted her life for the foundation and appreciates the talent, but there is no way her granddaughter will end up with somebody who has nothing but the talent.

Director Nah is played by the actress Ye Soo-Jung.
She is killing it!

Yes. Most grandma and mother tend to want what best for their kids so I understand all of Director Nah's actions.
I like actress Ye Soo-Jung since I first saw her in "The Strongest Delivery Man"

Me too! I really liked her in strongest deliveryman, and she played evil in another drama and gave me chills...
She is indeed very versatile.

I don't know if she's really a villian... I could be wrong. Joon Young seems to have a good sense of people who are using him or not and he's said a couple of times that Grandma Nah doesn't expect anything from him and is on his side. I think she just knows that he's not a good match for her granddaughter. She needs someone who can be assertive and help her to take over the foundation business, she's worried about her daughter's legacy (the foundation) falling apart if she cannot run it herself. I think she knows she's very ill and the stakes are rising. I think she's know all along that those two kids have feelings for each other, but that it wouldn't be good for either one for them to be together.

Can't look through the grandma's true mind too. Seems kind outwards but actually quite cruel and manipulative?! As to crush her granddaughter's determination to stay in the classical music industry. Also kinda look down on JY and HH becos of their more humble upbringings?

Hmmm... good points. I think we'll see a lot more of this as the story goes along. I don't know that the grandma is trying to crush JK's determination to stay in the classical music industry. JK seems like the classic case of a child prodigy who got her love for classical music beaten out of her. She doesn't seem to love playing the violin or anything else for that matter. I think grandma is afraid that she'll drift aimlessly. I also don't think it's JY and HH's humble upbringings that are her issue. It's that they personally aren't assertive and going after what they want. I think that's why she's trying to push HH to go after the professorship and trying to push JY to grab a hold of what he's earned - take the money for the effort you made to accompany that girl. She wants to see a little "greed" in them. A hunger for more. I'm not saying this is the best life. In fact, I think both of these men are better suited for a more simple life of enjoying the music they make and going with the flow. And that's what she doesn't want for her granddaughter. It's not what I would want, but it's also not a bad choice if it suits you.

That's why I put villain in quotes because her reasons behind her actions are understandable.

Interesting discussion about Director Nah (portrayed by one of my favorites Ye Soo-jung). I may have to go back and watch her scenes again. The women in that family are strong-willed that's for sure.
Based on what I have seen of the people connected to Seoryeong University I am not sure I would want a child of mine going there.

It's been a long time since I watched a scene grinning like an absolute fool, and then rewound to watch and grin like an absolute fool again, but that's exactly what I did at the end of episode 5 from the phone call to the walk at the palace. There is something refreshingly REAL about things that happen in the show - the balance of awkward, giddy, and wonderment that the OTP pulled off felt truer to real life than scenes I've seen in a while. Who can't recall the feeling of being with someone and realizing, wow, you really like them and, wow, this is really new and interesting and a little confusing and I want to keep doing this, but what do I do NOW, and omg can this never end, and ---

I also think confessing is in keeping with Song-ah's character, though was not anticipating that for episode 6 (though, to be fair, I didn't think that was coming so soon in When the Weather is Fine, and episode 6 it was!). She may be quiet and thus cause some people to think she's a pushover, but I think in reality she is steel wrapped in velvet - how else could she withstand the pressure from her family and the dismissive remarks from fellow students/teachers about her talent? Through it all, she stays true to her course. As she says to Joon-young in episode 3 (I think?), "I never asked you to cover my eyes." I appreciate that she is kind and gentle but doesn't shy from what can sometimes be hard truths and reality. I am cheering for her all the way.

I giggled, got shy alongside them 😶

Totally agree. Loved it so much when they brushed hands and didn't know what to do with themselves - but were grinning away. Really well done.

I too found myself grinning at those scenes. I cannot think of many dramas that have touched me that way.

Several things
1. Kim Min Jae disarmingly charming in this role, my goodness.😍
2. I like Joon Young's answer to that student about the dreams. He told her the truth while still giving her hope. We need to kill this belief that hard work and sincerety will get you to your dream. Sometimes, you just aren't good enough and that is okay too. We can't all be good at everything.
3. Song Ha, we get it girl. I have a crush on him too. Park Eun Bin is such perfection in this role. I will reiterate the writer has given this ethereal drama a centered realness. The scene with her looking at her toes and thinking she needed a pedicure is perfect.
4. Now for the rest of our hexagon. Jung Kyung is as messy as her grandmother. They are both ruthless when it comes to certain things. It is a bit terrifying. Hyun Ho deserved none of that he seems like a genuinely good person. Min Seong and Do Yeon, meh.

This reminds me of the scene in My First Time where Park So Dam confesses she likes Min Jae Andy he rejected her even though he likes her. Why do you like these scenes, Min Jae? Whyyy???

I was actually thinking that Min-seong and Hyun Ho should get together, be happy and give the other people the middle finger they so deserve.

About the graduate school thing for Song-Ah.
I can't figure out what professor's (played by Baek Ji-Won) deal is...
Clearly that professor didn't care about her before.
Hope that anything bad happens to her though.

I just love these great actresses in this drama.
What a fantastic performance!
Seo Jung-Yeon (Manager Cha)
Gil Hae-Yeon (Professor who is leaving)
Baek Ji-Won (Song-Ah's Professor)
Ye Soo-Jung (the director, Jung-kyung's grandmother)
Kim Jung-Young (Joon-Young's mom)
Kim Mi-Kyung (ep.2 Maestro cameo)
Kim Gook-hee (ep.6 Ji-won's mom)

Its not an elaborate plan or anything. She needs a prodigy, good enough that she can hone her skills and make a good working relationship with and one that doesn't send alarm bells ringing around her rivals. I do think Song Ah needs more practice but that's given, the more you practice the better you get at it. More or less same like Joon Young's professor, they aren't particularly close or fond of each other but its a good mutually beneficial relationship.

I thought it was more about getting an unpaid slave rather than SA’s musical ability. Director Cha said she was good at the work she’d been doing at the centre and she’s looking for a dogsbody. I’m expecting disappointment and frustration from SA when she takes that on.

That was my thought, too - that here was someone clever and hard-working who would do things like set up chamber orchestras and curry favor with others and without that messy talent to get in the way. Like most people, she will think that polite + shy = pushover. Both she and Song Ah are going to be disappointed to learn the truth about one another.

She is trying (pathetically) to take her rival's advice and build some connections, because she has the impression from the director of the center that they care about Song-ah. So becoming Song-ah's patron (even though she thinks she has no talent and will never make it as a violinist) is a strictly tactical selfish move intended to benefit her and not Song-ah.

Thanks for your thought @nothingmuch @lindag @gem28!

Now I remember that the professor's assistant is leaving for overseas to pursue violin (from the conversation in the bathroom).
So she purposely chose Song-Ah to be her assistant-to-be aka slave who never leaves because she is not talented?
Oh no! Song-Ah don't do it!

But I think having Song-Ah is not really doing much for making connections since she is just an intern...
Oh well.
Hopefully we'll find out soon!
I love this drama!

I am really curious about what Director Cha was going to say to Song Ah as she got into her cab after their goodbye dinner. Was it about grad school? Does she suspect that she put Song Ah on Prof. Lee's radar? Was she trying to put her on the professor's radar?? Was she going to say something about Joon Young? Does she see what we see blooming between them? I'm dying to know what she was going to say!

Me too! I was hoping to hear what Director Cha wants to say Song Ah.

I think it was about Joon young.... 😍

My guess is about her decision to follow her passion of violin - never to regret and don't let others sway her away from following her heart. So far, the whole people who support her are Dong Yoon, Dad, and Joon Young (the scene when he ran to her and gave her the CD with "to VIOLIST Song Ah" note is so swoon) while everyone else discouraged or disrespected her.
Director Cha witnessed a few incidents of that and was upset for Song Ah. I predict that Director Cha will become a crucial support at the right time when our Song Ah faces a time when she becomes unsure of her decision and thinking of giving up.

yes, Dir. Cha might be a good ally to Song Ah, she's very perceptive...

This show makes me feel so warm and happy~

I have just finished ep. 6 and it was soooo simple, sweet, heartbreaking and tender that I almost cried and laugh for her. Poor girl, just like @missvictrix said, who can blame her for falling for him???
Song-ah is like a child. She is just too honest and transparent and good hearted by nature.
She fell for Joon young and I fell for her, at least, for her personality. I wish I could still have the innocence to be like that.
Beautiful. This drama is so beautiful. And now I have to wait a long week in order to know his reply. 😱😱😱😱

I really felt for Joon Young, Hyun Ho and Song Ah this episode. Jung kyung, I don't care what happens to her character. I no longer related to her even to the slightest. Her life isn't falling apart. She has a steady income without being particularly talented or skilled, has a nasty attitude and is rude beyond imagination. What she did to Hyun Ho was not necessary, she may think she is doing him some sort of favor by pushing him away but that's just her pathetic mental excuse for being the way she is, a sad excuse of a woman, friend and trash human being. Hyun Ho deserves better, Joon Young deserves better. Her entitlement is annoying. Her grandmother is right, she shouldn't be a teacher...the kids she will teach will quit within the first week, nobody is more ill suited to be teaching music to young people than her.

I hope this show ends with Joon Young, Hyun Ho and Song Ah finding their footing away from their academy...the more we learn about the culture there, the more I feel sorry for all 3. Joon Young hasn't played piano out of love for music in ages, its an obligation for him. I really felt that. Song Ah on the other hand wants to but is being told over and over again, because she is not good enough she has no right to it. I liked this contrast here.

There was too much Jung Kyung in EP 6. There's really a plethora of unlikable characters in this show. Can we get one good teacher person??? All of the ones we've seen are either condescending, rude, and/or two-faced. I would like to see Song Ah improve at the violin with the help of a great guide.

It would have been nice if Professor Lee (Baek Ji Won) was a good mentor in contrast to Professor Song (Kil Hae Yeon). They both seem to not care about the students and are more concerned about their careers. I don't know what is up with Yoo Tae Jin (Joon Young's piano instructor).

I felt a little bad for Hyun Ho. I do want to see him move on from Jung Kyung. It may be an insignificant detail, but he was adjusting his work vest when he sat down with Joon Young. (I have the gif on my wall.) It made me notice him more and made me consider his self-consciousness. Especially after Director Nah talked to him about his status differences with Joon Young and Jung Kyung. And in this scene, Joon Young was oblivious. Just as he may be unaware of Hyun Ho's career and internal struggles.

Getting curious about Hyun Ho's journey. Does he still enjoy playing the cello? Or he's still hanging on to make money, to gain fame/status, have a steady career? To fit in with Jung Kyung's world?

You would be surprised how little university teachers can care about students and how much they get away with. Especially if you're talented.

Hmmm, i did not notice that scene with Hyun Ho adjusting his vest. (Who can blame me as my eyes were focused on Joon Young?😉)..but glad you pointed that out. Now I appreciate this scene even more and the nuanced acting at its best.

very observant! i noticed that as well. he feels conscious of the fact that he's not doing music, but instead doing PT work at the store. he's confident when he has his instrument, that gives him an even playing field with Joon Young & Jung Kyung, see practice session as reference.

I kinda find Song Ah’s dissatisfaction a bit too fast. I mean, the guy has to have time to be comfortable to open up. Forcing him to do so or just asking him when he’s not ready is a recipe for disaster.

Also, I knew she would fall fast and hard but girl has to get her emotions under control.

EP6 is titled : Raffrenando
English sub defined it as 'At one's own pace'
Best I can find on google is 'Restrain and controlling one's speed going slower'

I have zero music training so I may be wrong with the above definitions and their meanings. But I have been watching each ep with the title given and it has given me much appreciation of the writing. Eg EP5 title : Accelerando (Accelerating) and we see relationships/emotions deepens (quite fast altho I don't mind hehe)

Back to EP6, taking the title literally, everyone in EP6 is doing things at their own pace as if they did not notice about how another person is pacing with them or not. Some controlling the pace, others just plain losing their control.

As you pointed out, SA outpacing JY in realising the emotions bubbling between them.

We see the same with JK n HH breakup, with JK doing their breakup according to her own wishes, and HH refusing to go along with her..

When she started crying after he ran up to her, I was like, "Girl, keep it together."

She's gonna scare JY at that rate. LOL. I understand JY; financial issues, pressure, romantic entanglements, etc. doesn't really make one that eager to dive in a relationship. He just needs to take his time. But also, he's been doing some swoony things he has to take responsibility for.

SA needs to read the timing. When he doesn't reply to your text after that previous conversation, you have to hold back and check yourself.

LOL yess! couldn't agree more. he's been *consciously* (I think) flirting with her. The night calls, the "who would I walk with?" remark, the i miss you, and the you make me smile.

I mean I totally get where SA is coming from tho. She's not seeing the full picture (unlike us, lucky audience haha) of what JY is dealing with. And he doesn't help that he's just sulking in front of SA not telling her anything at all.

Great all your points. I also thought, maybe is too soon to confess, also taking into account they hadn't been talking naturally since he didn't answer her text days ago, so it was too sudden. I would have expected her more to restrain or even shy away, but like other beanies have mentioned, she is that honest, mostly with herself, and like you guys said, he encouraged her first!
I also remember what she thought when he played happy birthday song on the piano, that she knew she would love again even if she is hurt. She is a vulnerable person, but her vulnerability is not a weakness.
I actually like her for being that way. 😊

I felt like Song Ah was being refreshingly honest - as she often is - when she told Joon Young she did not want to be friends if it meant he wasn't going to open up to her. She wants to be more than just a sounding board or a stuffie to hug, she wants him to be as open and honest with her as she is with him. Not many people are brave enough to say what they really want out of a relationship, especially at the beginning. I was not surprised when he choked and withdrew from her, but I also felt that they would only ever be able to progress if she kept him honest and open.
As for the ending confession, it was abrupt but I think there is a lot they skipped over in order to provide the dramatic and clumsy episode close. Really, as much as I adore the writing, the editing in this show can be heavy-handed.

Agree. The confession was true to Song Ah's character and even her friend remark wasn't made to be mean or inconsiderate but she just wanted him to rely on her a bit more by actually voicing out his problems so that she could somehow resolve it with him. When a friend or someone you care about is going through tough times, it can be frustrating for those on the sideline watching because they feel so helpless and don't know what to do to make things better for that person. Song Ah probably felt the same.

And I seriously feel like the editing is what's causing a lot of the choppy transitions between scenes that's making it hard for us to follow. A good example is Jung Kyung breaking up with Hyun Ho then suddenly breaking down crying after dropping the gift he got her. Like what? Hahaha hopefully they will fix it.

On the contrary, I felt the editing in your example made perfect sense. Jung-kyung breaking down crying was a direct reaction to the scene before it at the audition. She purposely hurt Hyun-ho with her words, so he will finally accept that there's no chance they will get back together. Before he was her boyfriend, he was her best friend, and she was mourning their friendship that's forever lost. It hurts you to hurt someone you love.

Maybe the editing was fine hahaha...there was too much Jung Kyung scenes that my brain kind of semi fazed it out.

Or maybe it's also because I'm finding it hard to sympathise with her (and trust me I want to). I mean her backstory is suppose to make me feel sorry for her but it's not enough of a reason for her to hurt two people she cares about, as well as the people involved.

I kinda felt like this, too. I mean, he opened up and told her his true answers to all the interview questions in episode 4. So, he's not being completely opaque. I think she's just more annoyed and hurt because she knows that this string of bad days is more tied up in Jung Kyung than she'd like.

I keep coming back to when Joon Young is sitting next to Jung Kyung, but is really only paying attention to Song Ah behind the door. Many people have said that it is too fast for Song Ah to move on or that Joon Young is too caught up in his feelings for JK, but that doesn't seem true to me. Yes, it is messy and they both have a lot of work out, but I think that the feelings SA and JY have toward each other are already strong despite the mess. When do you ever have it completely together to start fresh? Most relationships start with some sort of mess on one side or the other. :)

I too feel that JY‘ s heart is already fully facing SA ;; it was shown so clearly by that scene you mentioned, his refusing to play Träumerei, and importantly JK’s realised before JY himself that he has feelings for SA. That scene in his apartment showed a LOT— how he thought about SY in his free time, put in so much effort in deciding how to address her when the obvious answer was 송아씨, and JK’s realisation that JY was over her was really the only reason why she left. I also realise that in the span of 6 episodes, an entire summer has ended (we started with SA’s summer internship and now they’re back to school) and so actually the time they’ve spent together is much longer than we think. Hoping for JY to tell SA that he likes her too, but maybe him needing some time to settle the JK/HH mess would be nice too for next week :”)

I'm wondering how much time passed between the last night they walked together and the start of the new semester. Her monologue on how she thought she'd feel better over time seems to imply it wasn't just a day or two. Did he not contact her again after that?

I’m wondering the same thing! I think only a few days passed since they were having the farewell party probably on a Friday since it was the last day of work and then school starting on Monday
(lol I’m just grasping for straws here~) but maybe to her it felt like forever?? if it was actually a few weeks I find it unbelievable that JY didn’t contact her at all hmmm...hopefully the show will rewind a little next week to explain that a little! 🤞

Right? I mean JY has a LOT he's dealing with and I can see him not taking the initiative to check in with her simply because he doesn't know what to say after their last conversation. But lol yeah maybe the weekend or a few days felt like forever to her. Or maybe she assumed that would be the end of their friendship so she had set herself on that mindset.

Same...but I'm guessing at least a week? From what I gather with my Korean friends, internships usually end a week or so before the term starts (this can vary though) and given that they met before the farewell party, it could have been more than 2 weeks...and honestly when you have mixed feelings about someone you like, that time can feel like a lifetime.

@Jules, can I double thumbs up? It is so true that often we are in some sort of half-hearted relationship when we find the one that is really meant for us. I find it a lot more realistic to have messy entanglements - some lasting years - to work through, rather than these shows with the never-been-kissed 30 year old finally stumbling upon the man of her dreams.

I really enjoy this drama, now I will like Monday/Tuesdays lol. I think she did well to express that she liked him, considering the other crush she didn't really express it. I always wondered why Joon-young never confessed to Jung-kyung besides her being in a relationship with his best friend, I feel like it has to do with Jung-kyung's mom. I wonder if somehow his dad was involved in her death which would kinda make sense on why he never felt he should do anything.

This week I didn't get SA.
I'm okay with her not yelling at that ungratful brat, because honestly, I wouldn't have said anything either, I'm insecure as hell too. I get that.
BUT why did she said that to JY? For him, his talent is like a curse, and she need to accept that. She has a hard time because she isn't good, yeah, but that's not his experience. His feelings mean something too. She should try to understand him.
Same for MS. That "I'm going to pretend that I didn't hear it" wasn't about him not giving a damn about her feelings. The way I see it, he really tries to keep things as always, I believe that he doesn't want their friendship to break. But yeah, let's say he's just bad and not try to understand him.

Well, now the real thing. What was that 'I can't be that kind of friend' really about? because let's be honest, they barely know each other and he has told her A LOT (at least in my perspective as a not-talking-at-all-about-me-kind-of-person).
So, why she was so hurt? because she likes him? because of what JK said? Well, whatever the reason is that wasn't cool.
I just feel everything kind of rush. I mean, wasn't SA crying because of Owner-oppa last week? didn't JY asked her to be just friends? didn't she knew that his has/had (Idk) complicated-feelings for JK?

I really liked my extrovert (Record of Youth) vs introvert friends monday-tuesday thing, but I guess now it's going to be extrovert friends vs messy romance (I don't feel that confession and the whole JK show is not over).

Yes, Song-A should try to understand Joon-Young better about his talent being a curse to him, but he saying that not having talent is a blessing it is he also not considering her feelings.

And about "let's not be friends like that" makes perfect sense from Song-A's point of view, the two had had an agreement.
When Joon-Young wants to feel better he can see her and when Song-A has good news she will tell him.
She did her part. She received the best news she could receive at that moment and was completely ignored by him.
And while I understand that Joon-Young had a lot to deal with at that moment because he just received the news from his mother, and he was concerned about money.
He went looking for her because he wants to feel better, he didn't bother to explain why he ghosted her.
And on top of that, he didn't even bother to ask what was her good news. This interaction seemed to be very much about him and Song-A was completely justified in questioning the direction of this friendship, If they want to be friends, he also needs to give and understand her side too, not only shows up when it suits him. Knowing human behavior, he would probably repeat this behavior more often (with no intention of hurting her), I liked how Song-A stopped the first time. This seems to be quite healthy for me.

It is more common for a person not fall out in love with someone before they start falling in love with someone else, human relationships and feelings are very complex and messy.
Song-A may have cried for Yoon Dong-Yoon last week, but for confirmation of what she knew all along that nothing will happen between them (it seemed more mourning) and to declare her love Joon-Young this week.
She is moving away from Yoon Dong-Yoon before the drama started and started falling in love with Joon-Young since the second episode and the two feelings mix, but there are not exclusive, both can happen at the same time.

THIS!!!

You're right. What I said ins't quite fair from SA's perspective.
But this makes me more worried about the idea of them being involve in a romantic way this soon.
I'm a little like the JY that we've seen so far, so (from my point of view) I would ask a little more patience from SA.
I was hurt when she said that. I would love to see her asking him what he wanted to do and thinking "he can't talk about it right now. When he's ready he'll tell me." or at least, ask him to not break the promise again and tell her a little more of what's bothering him.
And in way I think she wanted to get to that (I guess, because she said that she didn't wanted to hear "Im sorry") but because of the way she said it, he felt the pressure of not doing this kind of mistakes again, and he can't promise that, at least not this soon.

So I don't know how things are going to work (as a couple) with this kind of dynamic.

She's going to give him another chance, yeah but what's next?
The dynamic is going to change? How are they going to deal with future problems? they can make more promises, but they probably won't do 'their part' always, so I hope they'll deal with it with patience, trust and real conversations.
And I put more pressure in SA's since she seems to be the one leading the relationship, but I know that both have work to do.

But Joon-Young could also voice his needs and apologize and tell Song-A if they could not talk about it that moment but promise later he will tell her what’s bothering him. The main thing here for Song-A is that he gave no explanation for her when she felt neglected.
She seems a litle hurt when she had to ask him if he didn't want to know the good news.

I'm not judging Joon-Young too much, he got caught up in his own problems and both failed to communicated better.

and I disagree about it being too early for them to get romantically involved, I would like to see them solve their problems while navigating their romantic feelings for each other.
Dynamic of relationships changes all the time according to the situations and at each moment the couple needs communicate about their feelings and need.
And Song-A established hers needs, she made it very clear what she expects from this friendship, I'm pretty sure if Joon-Young express his need of not wanting to talk about it, Song-A would respect.

i would also like the drama to explore what it means to be in a relationship when one has different perspectives on their chosen profession. Joon Young seems to be at the top of his game, although he's not happy.
in the meantime Song Ah seems to be a better administrator than a violinist. someone mentioned this in the comment above, that they didn't want SA to magically have extraordinary talent in playing the violin, this is based on the episodes we've seen thus far...

Can I hope that Song-ah plays it off next week? Even though Joon-young likes her, he's not ready to accept a relationship, and I hate when confessions make friendships awkward. Their slow-burn romance gives me all the feels, and I was really looking forward to Joon-young confessing first. Song-ah's heart is going to break when he tells her "mianhaeyo" again.

I was upset at Song-ah for dismissing Joon-young's feelings and making him feel guilty, especially after he's told her how unhappy he is and that he would rather die than compete in competitions. I wish she understood his perspective that being talented puts him under extreme stress and pressure to live up to people's expectations, since she even heard Hae-na say behind his back that he's fallen from the top. He was insensitive to brush off his advice to the student, which Song-ah found comfort in, as empty words, so they were both in the wrong and needed to apologize to each other. His "How have you been?" made my heart skip a beat.

Joon-young and Jung-kyung are like star-crossed lovers. No matter how many years he's loved her, his sense of inferiority over his father, indebtedness to her grandmother and late mother, and guilt toward their best friend will never allow himself to be with her. I felt for Jung-kyung when she cried over the rosin Hyun-ho fixed for her. She has to be cruel to him, so he doesn't keep hoping their relationship still has a chance. This is why you don't date your friends because when you break up, your friendship is over.

Many thanks for the weecap, @missvictrix!

I hope the show didn't jump the shark with SA's confession. TBH, I was here for the slow burn but then it suddenly came to this. Episode 6 is too early. There isn't even any tension yet between the other 2 triangles.

I winced at her confession because he is going to reject her. I hope Song-ah takes it back, for instance, "I like you, Joon-young-ssi... coming back to school." I prefer my OTPs to get together in Episode 16.

Me, I am not sure what to think. In this kind of drama, you cannot figure out the plot so easily as to predict they will get together just at the end, as if that would be the goal of our writer-nim. I don't think he will accept her confession by the next episode, but maybe by the following one😂...
I don't think he will hurt her either, by the way, he is just too nice.
But again, I think they will get together, and ex love interests: jung kyung and the violinist repair one will create conflicts and doubts, which make sense, because SA and JY were "in love" with these people before...

From the preview, it's easy to predict tho. Boy confesses too, but will not openly admit because he is "protecting" her. They will overcome obstacles as a couple, and there may be a break-up in the works but they will get back together. Or not.

@shichybot... oh no, please, no spoilers😂😂😂😂😂
I didn't watch the preview because I like to wait and be surprised for good or for bad...
Anyway, at ep. 7 there is still lots to go and enjoy before the drama is over...
😅😅😅😅😅

Drama producer had an interview where he talked about what to look forward in the second half. :) Short summery: The plot will concentrated on growth. Music school life. While they are maintaining their relationship there will be conflicts than gonna be resolved. So things to answer is about what kind of relationship they will have with music and what kind of life they will live.

Everything that Joon-young did always swoony, can't blame Song-ah to fall in love with him and she confessed! Woa .. I didn't expect that.
And they didn't show the preview for eps 7! Dang!!

The preview for Episode 7 is available on SBS's official account. https://youtu.be/OBt5IVOo2gY

Thank you for the link! Well, I keep smiling to my screen and the screen keeps smiling back at me every time I pause the preview at 0:23.